Converting headlights to HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abandoning the original DRL set up is what i had in mind

could i avoid the whole jumpering to high beams and just do the modification with relays and diodes from the DRL to the highs or did i read that you tried that and it didnt work?

OR

could i just jumper directly to the regular headlight wires and not even hook up the 9005 plugs into the old DRL wires?

That would overload the lowbeams and you would get less light out of both. It might be best to wire up a relay that kicks them on with the highbeams but they take power from the alternator point in that little red box. :thumbsup:

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would overload the lowbeams and you would get less light out of both. It might be best to wire up a relay that kicks them on with the highbeams but they take power from the alternator point in that little red box. :thumbsup:

:skep: :confused2: i may just stick with the original plan and leave them with the DRL and jumper to high beams, lol

ha2fb

Reaction score
So the x2020 is a true HID (housing, bulbs, etc) ?

On the site it says with or without silverstars, these are just normal bulbs right?

Is it possible to get the housing in black?

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On the site it says with or without silverstars, these are just normal bulbs right?

yes i believe its a true hid everything, housing, bulbs, etc

its my understanding that the silverstars are for the high beams because u dont want to use HIDS for highs anyway. so silverstars are a very good substitute for those, i think

not sure about the black housing

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The silverstars are for the Highbeams. I dont think you can get the housing in black as that is not reflective like the silver. But yes, they are 100% street legel True HID reflector housings. They will look just like the 02-06 lincoln navigators. Or the 04-06 escalades with HIDS.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a pic of a 2001-2006 tahoe with the x2020 headlights on? i'd like to see what it looks like

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I use other Hids in the highs on the x2020? I like HIDs in both high and low.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I use other Hids in the highs on the x2020? I like HIDs in both high and low.

you could, but from what i hear, the warm up time is a little slow, so u wouldnt be able to flash your high beams at someone and i hear they burn out quickly from flashing on and off, i'll be getting HIRS myself

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could, but from what i hear, the warm up time is a little slow, so u wouldnt be able to flash your high beams at someone and i hear they burn out quickly from flashing on and off, i'll be getting HIRS myself

I use HIDs in both high and low now. The slow start isn't really a problem for me and my daily driving. And I don't flash the highs often. :)

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand the flash loss on HID's on highs... but honestly... i think if you have some HID lows... if thats not bright enough to get their attention.... nothing will...

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand the flash loss on HID's on highs... but honestly... i think if you have some HID lows... if thats not bright enough to get their attention.... nothing will...

And burned out bulbs from flashing isn't really a problem with the prices you guys have. The two HID kits i bought from vvme.com cost me the same with freight and local vat as 2 HID BULBS would in Norway.