Converting headlights to HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate to keep asking about the hid kits, but i keep reading about how "halogen projectors with HIDS will not blind other drivers...using HIDS in regular halogen headlights will"

doesnt this mean i should get halogen projectors? i feel like i dont know whether or not getting the ddm tuning hid kit and putting it in is the right thing to do

IT would be a good Idea. But not required right away.

I would reccommend these

you will just need to order an H1 Hid kit for the low beams insted of a 9006. and request 9006 plugs with the H1 kit

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for 5000k 35w lows and 5000k 55w highs. Using 55w on the lows increases the chance of blinding the cars you meat increasing the chance of getting reported to the cops.

I've got vvme 5000k 35w low and high and I'm very happy. They're a bit slow to start, but considering value for money it's hard to beat. Only regret is not getting 55w for the highs. Probably will soon but I'm investigating the use of H4 bulbs to get dual high and low with telescopic bulbs. :)

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT would be a good Idea. But not required right away.

I would reccommend these

you will just need to order an H1 Hid kit for the low beams insted of a 9006. and request 9006 plugs with the H1 kit

Thanks for your reply, can you show me an example of projectors that I can get? I'm not sure what to look for

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, can you show me an example of projectors that I can get? I'm not sure what to look for

LOL, i forgot the link. here ya go

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=4438

IMO if you get projectors, I would stick to 35W. But its not reccommended to do HIDS in the highs since they take about 8-10 seconds to warm up, if you flash or turn them on and off alot, they will wear out very quickly. HIRS are just as good for highbeams.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why the 35w are recommended with projectors like the one in the link you gave me? Or did u mean IF I decided to go with HID highs? I was only going to get hids for lows and fogs, and hirs for highs

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why the 35w are recommended with projectors like the one in the link you gave me? Or did u mean IF I decided to go with HID highs? I was only going to get hids for lows and fogs, and hirs for highs

the projector is a very small area compared to a reflector. So 55W would melt your projector. Like a 55W in your fog. Plus projectors are a very focused beam, so a 35W in a good projector like TYC will be brighter anyway.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! You've been very helpful, I wouldn't know what to do without this forum

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im starting to have second thoughts about the projector kits, hid kits, etc and am wondering if im better off just putting up the money for the x2020 kit

could anyone offer any comparisons as to why these might be better?

xav8r

Reaction score
speaking from a personal perspective ...

I'm looking at the same questions you are considering. Some of the things that are factoring into my decisions (and without trying to disrespect any other members who have different reasons or experience ... I'm jealous of those that have time, money, skill, and desire) are as follows.

Can I afford the project? Will it cost me any more time or money in the long run or is there a better solution that will keep me out of trouble? And lastly how much headache is involved (from the purchase, to the install, to maintenance, to results)?

With this problem I've decided for the x2020 purely because thankfully I can currently afford it, it's legal and should keep me out of any run-ins with LEOs while with family and friends, and it appears to be fairly simple to install. Oh the other hand, I do appreciate the positive feedback/comments other members have shared re DDM and would probably consider them the best and most cost effective solution if I didn't have to worry about the time factor involved in this project.

Good luck

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some good questions, in your case, you sound like you're good to go for the x2020 kit IF they are truly an easy install. My concern was that if I'm going to be paying $200 for projectors and nearly $100 for a DDM HID kit, plus shipping, the total would end up being a little over $300. The x2020 kit is about $400 for the assembly plus HIDS, I think. If I'm correct with all of the above information, it sounds like the x2020 kit is a better option for, I'm hoping, a quality product and easy install. However, what I don't know is light output comparison between TYC projectors with DDM HIDs vs. an X2020 kit.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some good questions, in your case, you sound like you're good to go for the x2020 kit IF they are truly an easy install. My concern was that if I'm going to be paying $200 for projectors and nearly $100 for a DDM HID kit, plus shipping, the total would end up being a little over $300. The x2020 kit is about $400 for the assembly plus HIDS, I think. If I'm correct with all of the above information, it sounds like the x2020 kit is a better option for, I'm hoping, a quality product and easy install. However, what I don't know is light output comparison between TYC projectors with DDM HIDs vs. an X2020 kit.

light output will be 1000 times brighter on the 2020's they are a true HID headlight housing, not a hid bulb in a halagon housing. :thumbsup:

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
light output will be 1000 times brighter on the 2020's they are a true HID headlight housing, not a hid bulb in a halagon housing. :thumbsup:

thanks for your response, since thats the case, i might as well shell out for the x2020 kit, and when I do, i'll be sure to post pics of the assembly and whatnot

i apologize for the beating the HID horse to a pulp

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your response, since thats the case, i might as well shell out for the x2020 kit, and when I do, i'll be sure to post pics of the assembly and whatnot

i apologize for the beating the HID horse to a pulp

Hey man, no apology needed. Its why im here and your here. To ask and and answer questions. :thumbsup:

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new question for rolling thunder, see the not so clear, whiter part towards the middle inside the green circles? (not the turn signals) what are those lights? they only seem to come on when i lock or unlock my car with my remote, they are orange in color

anyway, i dont think its possible, but doesnt hurt to ask, can those middle lights be switched with out a different ballast or the same kind of lights you recommended for my highs, and then rigged up to come on with my high beams and the rest of the 6 high mod? i guess that would be an 8 high mod

possible?

i just figured if it was a useless light, which i think it is, that it would be cool if it was a second set of high beams

mt6uww.jpg

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new question for rolling thunder, see the not so clear, whiter part towards the middle inside the green circles? (not the turn signals) what are those lights? they only seem to come on when i lock or unlock my car with my remote, they are orange in color

anyway, i dont think its possible, but doesnt hurt to ask, can those middle lights be switched with out a different ballast or the same kind of lights you recommended for my highs, and then rigged up to come on with my high beams and the rest of the 6 high mod? i guess that would be an 8 high mod

possible?

i just figured if it was a useless light, which i think it is, that it would be cool if it was a second set of high beams

mt6uww.jpg

Its a Daytime running light and is on in the day time when your headlights are off and your out of park. Yes they can. I have personally never done it though. I did modify an HID kit in there, but I think the HIRS would be aton better and easier. It will require alot of work JUST and FYI. But it can be done.

What you will need to do.

1. Order a set of the HIRS for the highbeams.

2. modifty the bulb to fit snugly in to the hole. Then seal it up with silicone.

get some 9005 plugs from pepboys or autozone. Cut the plug off the wires in the truck.

But crimp and heat shrink the wires on the new plugs, to the stock wires.

Then jumper a wire from each light to a highbeam wire. Should kick on normally, and when ever you kick on the highbeams.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll definitely be taking pics of the process, and include a write up on all my steps (if i succeed) i bought a new camera so i'll be putting it to good use

i already did your 6 high mod which turned out great

the other thing im thinking of now is if i wire the new 9005 plugs to the old DRL wires, wont that make my new set of high beams come on when the DRLs would normally come on? seems too bright for that, can i make them only come on with my regular highs? and just be off the rest of the time?

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll definitely be taking pics of the process, and include a write up on all my steps (if i succeed) i bought a new camera so i'll be putting it to good use

i already did your 6 high mod which turned out great

the other thing im thinking of now is if i wire the new 9005 plugs to the old DRL wires, wont that make my new set of high beams come on when the DRLs would normally come on? seems too bright for that, can i make them only come on with my regular highs? and just be off the rest of the time?

When I had it set up on my 06 the DRLS turned on normally, and with the highs, never Vica versa. But if yours is different, you could always just abandon the DRLs and unplug the relay under the hood so they only come on when the highs do.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abandoning the original DRL set up is what i had in mind

could i avoid the whole jumpering to high beams and just do the modification with relays and diodes from the DRL to the highs or did i read that you tried that and it didnt work?

OR

could i just jumper directly to the regular headlight wires and not even hook up the 9005 plugs into the old DRL wires?

Last edited: