Daytime running lights with HID?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of HID 5300k for my head lights and the same for my fogs. I know most people take out the DRL "fuse" but I like the DRL's. Is there anything wrong with keeping the DRL's on with 5300k HIDs? I don't want to end up burning the casing or even burn the bulb out fast.

Thanks in advance

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Is there anything wrong with keeping the DRL's on with 5300k HIDs? I don't want to end up burning the casing or even burn the bulb out fast.

Yes. It specifically states in the Rule Book that you must remove the DRL fuses when you install HIDs. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Uhm, nah dude, it's your truck, do whatever you want! BUT, I removed my fuses last year after a while of using the HIDs with the DRLs because I was paranoid of exactly what you said. Unnecessary hours on the bulbs and ballasts if you ask me... Yes, I like the idea of DRLs too, and the amber lights still function though, I believe.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Yukon use the headlight as the DRL?

The Tahoe has a seperate DRL so for awhile I wasn't sure what you guys were worried about.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Yukon use the headlight as the DRL?

Yes. The H13 bulb is a DRL / Lo / Hi all-in-one dealio. The upper amber light also comes on with the DRLs, I believe (truck is outta town, otherwise I'd go 100% confirm the amber thing in the garage...:crazy:)

gregbj33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Can anyone confirm the amber lights staying on after pulling fuses. I kinda like that idea, even with having HIDs.
BTW, fairly new to the site and love all the info. Im suffering through the Norhteastern PA weather so havent posted any pics yet but will very soon.

Thanks!!
Greg

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If no one else answers, I'll have my wife do a quick check tomorrow and call and tell me wassup...

S

scott_mckinney

Let us know... I want my standard amber bulbs to stay on during DRL time, even with the fuses pulled...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a buddy wire the DRL's in to his fogs on a gmt 900 suv after he installed a 5300k kit. i think thats great as they stay on even when the highs are on now too so when ever the truck is running their on. i will ask him what he did.