Dead battery in the morning...has this happened to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I go out to the garage Friday morning and jump in the Tahoe, turn the key and...click, click, click. NOTHING!. WTF????

I put the battery charger on it for a half hour or so, it starts and I drive straight to the dealership to find out how a car that pretty much turns everything off itself could have a dead battery. They tell me I have a fuel pump relay switch sticking open intermittently and when it sticks open it drains the battery. Well that's just great. So fix it I say, and they say, sorry we don't have a switch in stock. FABULOUS!!

So anyway, has anybody else had this fuel pump relay switch sticky open thing happen to them? I'm just wondering how often I can expect to come out to a dead battery. Doesn't instill much confidence when you don't know if your ride is gonna start. If there aren't too many of you that this has happened to I'll feel better and start to think this was just a fluke.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them check to ensure that you have the battery rundown update installed.

The pump was one issue but there was a reprogram to address the battery rundown.

Other updates listed here...

http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_14997/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

You want them to perform Bulletin 07033. It's a reflash to address the Body Control Module battery rundown. I was left high and dry twice before it was fixed. If it has been done, there will be a little sticker on the front left hand side under the hood.

Last edited:

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Tahoe 07 what pump are u referring to?? What was the issue?

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want them to perform Bulletin 07033. It's a reflash to address the Body Control Module battery rundown. I was left high and dry twice before it was fixed. If it has been done, there will be a little sticker on the front left hand side under the hood.

Well, I got to the dealership this morning and tell them I want the relay switch replaced and OH YEAH, since I'm here do the bulletin 07033. They tell me based on my VIN there is NO 07033 update. WTF again. They tell me that my Tahoe was probably built after the bulletin came out and they probably did the battery rundown update at the factory or something like that.

What do you think? Does this sound logical or are they blowing smoke up my a@% cause they don't know about it?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on when your build date. Mine was assembled in late January of 2007 and I said needed the reflash. If yours was later, the revision was already incorporated. The problem was quite widespread at the time.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on when your build date. Mine was assembled in late January of 2007 and I said needed the reflash. If yours was later, the revision was already incorporated. The problem was quite widespread at the time.

How do you determine the build date? I didn't buy mine till Oct. 07 so I'm assuming it was probably built later in the year but I don't know.

And what exactly did the reflash accomplish? The dealership just gave me a bunch of technobabble that didn't mean anything to me.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Positions 12 thru 17 of the VIN are a production sequence number, while position 11 is the plant. Somewhere you should be able to use that info to get the build date. Unfortunately, I don't know where.

Last edited:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else you can do. Go back to your salesman, and ask for your vehicle's "Build Sheet". He can run it off in seconds, and it's a really good thing to have on file. At the top of the sheet will be your Tahoe's birthday.

rsmitty115

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine, dealer reflashed the computer with the bulletin and corrected the issue. I believe mine Tahoe was built in June of 2007 and the bulletin applied.