Dealer scamming me about Nav?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CliffHux

Reaction score
Hello all! First post, thanks in advance for your help.
Basically I just bought an '08 Tahoe that was listed as an LT with Nav/non-Bose. When getting the carfax it turns out it's an LS. It has an OEM Nav in it (I later discovered that the LS does not come stock with this?). The dealer didn't have a disc, so I bought it on the promise of getting me a disc. They have now tried two disc both reading "disc installed is not a map dvd". They ran it to a Chevy dealer down the road and came back saying "it doesn't have the guts to be a Nav system". It's clearly a Nav system, or the face wouldn't open and ask for a disc correct? After doing my research it appears that whoever had it before me installed the Nav based on the facts that the LS does not come with it, I have no chimes, and I can barely hear the OnStar voice. Basically I want to check my facts with you all because this looks like its going to get ugly. I wouldn't have bought the vehicle if it didn't have Nav. Is it simply a disc read error? Suggestions? Thanks!

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it will help, but maybe they were trying an older version dvd instead of an 08 + year. I don't think it will matter either way, but that was my first thought.

You are correct about the head unit. If it slides open it is for navigation. Now you have to consider if the the gps antenna was installed, etc.

Let me know if you need wiring diagrams, they may help determine what your missing.

CliffHux

Reaction score
I doubt it will help, but maybe they were trying an older version dvd instead of an 08 + year. I don't think it will matter either way, but that was my first thought.

You are correct about the head unit. If it slides open it is for navigation. Now you have to consider if the the gps antenna was installed, etc.

Let me know if you need wiring diagrams, they may help determine what your missing.

Thanks. They said they tried a few different disks. I called the dealer that looked at it to speak to them myself rather than through the original dealer. He seemed to know what he was talking about. He said he tried to program a VIN from a vehicle that already had Nav among other things. I've been considering checking to see if it has the antenna, but even if the antenna was missing the unit should still read the disk I'm guessing? The original dealer wants to get it this week to pull the unit out and get some numbers off of it. What's the correct part # I need to replace the unit? Non-Bose. Thanks!

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They would be able to tell you better than me, but I believe it to be #15940102.

CliffHux

Reaction score
Pulled the unit out today. It's GMPN 20792734 - did some looking around online and it seems it's an '09 Acadia unit. Would this cause any problems? The radio and such works fine, just that the Nav won't read the disk (we've tried multiple) so I'm thinking it's compatible, just damaged?

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boy I don't know. Kinda getting a little over my head. I would want to think so in theory. What did the dealer say? I would have thought they would need to flash your BCU to accept the head unit.

CliffHux

Reaction score
They wanted to send it off to get repaired, but when we realized it was from an Acadia we decided to order an Acadia Nav disc (different item number than the Tahoe one we've been trying). Fingers crossed, I'll let you know!

CliffHux

Reaction score
Got the Acadia disc in today, and it works!! Because the Nav was installed after factory, I have the quit Onstar voice, Nav voice, etc. I've read that an amp will fix the low music volume, does this include those voices?

bowtie_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that was the root of evil.

As I stated in your other post, try seeing where your nav volume is set at on your touchscreen settings. You may just only need to turn up the volume.