Does dual exhaust hurt low end torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brewcity

Reaction score
Hey guys...thinking about a dual exhaust system (one muffler 2 in/2out) for my 99 tahoe. Been reading, and was wondering if this will hurt performance, especially on the low end torque band because of back pressure?
Can someone let me know the truth about this?
I will be putting on a Magnaflow high flow cat system with the new set up as well. I dont want to spend a lot of money on a dual exhaust if its going to hurt my low end torque.
Any help would really be appreicated!

Gregski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, what diameter pipe do you plan on using out of curiosity

brewcity

Reaction score
no, what diameter pipe do you plan on using out of curiosity

Well thats good to know. I have read that using a dual out muffler will hurt low end torque.
I am thinking about going with a dual 2.25" in to a dual 2.5" out (if I can find a flowmaster with those dimensions) with 3" tips. I dont want anything really loud, but do want to hear it at idle and acceleration. I cant hear anything with the stock set up.
Any advice with this?

Gregski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any advice with this?

Yeah, turn down the radio, jk, totally kidding, any of those sizes will work, and if smaller in and bigger out is hard to find go with matching, even 2 inch will work

brewcity

Reaction score
Yeah, turn down the radio, jk, totally kidding, any of those sizes will work, and if smaller in and bigger out is hard to find go with matching, even 2 inch will work

LOL....thats what my buddy said! :)
Ok...thanks a lot for the help. Are you running dual out as well?
If so...what's your set up, and how do you like it?

Gregski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running dual out as well?

Honestly no, our Tahoe is more of the family car, (yeah, yeah my balls are in the wife's purse, I know) but I had a nice custom non Flowmaster non Magnaflow on my Blazer. The muffler shop I took it to said $500 bones and we will take care of you, I have no idea what they put on there but it Rocked!

However my buddy who is 6'9" has had three Tahoes, since he says he only fits comfortably into two cars the ol' Hoe's and the Merecedes C class. Anyway, he had two, two door ones and one four door and all of them had either Flows or Magnas.

To be honest with you he never said anything about more horse power, or any backpressure problems, but he did love the meaty sound of the Magnaflows, and or the rumble of the Flowmasters, either sounded better than the stock

brewcity

Reaction score
To be honest with you he never said anything about more horse power, or any backpressure problems, but he did love the meaty sound of the Magnaflows, and or the rumble of the Flowmasters, either sounded better than the stock

Thanks...this was what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice and help on this...I really appreciate it. :waytogo:

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I would not personally put on a dual exhaust with out doing headers. From using headers in the past I just believe in the performance gains. I will be going with a new exhaust package that includes: JBA shorty Headers ( cheaper ones exist, but I want quality for durability), Magna flo #23453 CATS($365 on Summit) (Both the shorty headers and these pipes will bolt directly together just like stock components and flow much better --they will also bolt directly to stock exhaust manifolds) I will finish off the exhaust with a Flomaster Force II dual inlet single outlet muffler and pipe combo, # 17166($309 on Summit)- (this muffler setup will bolt directly to the MagnaFlow CATs or your stock CATs). I can not do a true dual exhaust the way I want so I am going with a stock type set up, with performance parts.
Of course there are many options, but I choose this route because all parts are bolt on and I can do it myself. Hope this helps!!!

brewcity

Reaction score
I would not personally put on a dual exhaust with out doing headers. From using headers in the past I just believe in the performance gains. I will be going with a new exhaust package that includes: JBA shorty Headers ( cheaper ones exist, but I want quality for durability), Magna flo #23453 CATS($365 on Summit) (Both the shorty headers and these pipes will bolt directly together just like stock components and flow much better --they will also bolt directly to stock exhaust manifolds) I will finish off the exhaust with a Flomaster Force II dual inlet single outlet muffler and pipe combo, # 17166($309 on Summit)- (this muffler setup will bolt directly to the MagnaFlow CATs or your stock CATs). I can not do a true dual exhaust the way I want so I am going with a stock type set up, with performance parts.
Of course there are many options, but I choose this route because all parts are bolt on and I can do it myself. Hope this helps!!!

Thanks for the help...I really appreciate the input!
I do plan on doing headers...buts that is in the future. So that is why I wanted the dual exhaust set up.
I know I am kind of going backwards...doing the headers last, but the exhaust on my Tahoe is in real need of replacement, and I cant afford the whole thing right now, so exhaust goes in first. I too will be doing the high flow cats from Magnaflow with my new muffler and exhaust.
Hopefully I'll be able to install the headers later this summer.
Thanks again for the help! :waytogo:

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey TCMERICK Did u ever find out if your 98 tahoe was a sport or not and if u still have can u post some pics sound's interesting to look especially with the leather seats and all!!!!