Door speakers stopped playing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossMan696

Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe which I just started having trouble with the radio. At first I thought maybe I was losing FM stereo as the sound on the radio would drop out and then play all treble... After a couple of times I noticed that the door or lager speakers were cutting out. Since all the larger speakers would cut out at the same time, it makes me think there is a central issue. Would it be the head unit itself or is there a pre-amp? It was sporadic at first, and would come back on after it cut out. But the last time it went out, it never came back on... thus leading me to this forum. Any help would be appreciated!

BossMan696

Reaction score
Where is the amplifier in an 07 Tahoe?

Does anyone know where the amplifier is located in an 2007 Tahoe? Is it built into the radio or a separate piece. The door speakers work intermittently now. But only one will come back on.... it has to be a central issue I would think.

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The mid and tweeter are on the same channel, so it's unrelated to the HU or any amplifier. The speakers in that truck suck, you're describing symptoms of the 6.5's needing replaced. It's a common complaint on GMFS, same thing, solution is replacement.

BossMan696

Reaction score
EMF, thank you for taking the time to reply. I wanted to update you with a couple of other symptoms and see if you still though it was the speakers. I have since noted that whenever the truck is hot (interior temperature) the speakers will play. Not all of them mind you, but at most 3 out of 4. Since the problem started, I have never had all four playing at the same time. It would be anywhere from 1 to 3 door speakers playing at a time. When it gets cold outside, they would stop playing all together. Hence the shorting issue I suggested. I know it's really hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it, and I really appreciate your help and effort, but I know my dealer and I don't want them throwing parts at an issue that I will have to pay for and not solving it. When the speakers are playing though, I don't seem to hear any distortion or rattling which made me think they were still good, but I'm no expert. With this in mind, do you still think it is the speakers themselves. What would be your suggestions for replacements?

Thanks in advance!

Quentin

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
EMF, thank you for taking the time to reply. I wanted to update you with a couple of other symptoms and see if you still though it was the speakers. I have since noted that whenever the truck is hot (interior temperature) the speakers will play. Not all of them mind you, but at most 3 out of 4. Since the problem started, I have never had all four playing at the same time. It would be anywhere from 1 to 3 door speakers playing at a time. When it gets cold outside, they would stop playing all together. Hence the shorting issue I suggested. I know it's really hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it, and I really appreciate your help and effort, but I know my dealer and I don't want them throwing parts at an issue that I will have to pay for and not solving it. When the speakers are playing though, I don't seem to hear any distortion or rattling which made me think they were still good, but I'm no expert. With this in mind, do you still think it is the speakers themselves. What would be your suggestions for replacements?

Thanks in advance!

Quentin

I think I recall others mentioning temperature as well. If you're having to pay the dealership, I would just not have them do it. The likelihood of it being the speakers is very good, and if you're gonna have money in it, why not replace them with better aftermarket speakers? You won't pay dealership rates (or could even do the labor yourself) and come out with better speakers. Absolute worst case scenario, that doesn't solve it and you still have a much better sound when you do solve it. You're still going forward. It will probably cost less that way too.

BossMan696

Reaction score
Thanks for the information....

I still haven't solved the problem, but I didn't finally order a complete set of replacement speakers after reading your reply and looking a few other forums. Looks like it is a good chance it is indeed the speakers and I should have them in a few days to install and test.

luv2race300ft

Reaction score
MINE is doing the EXACT same thing !

PLEASE keep us up to date.

Did you ever find the amp ?

I'm an engineer, NOT electrical, but it sure seems that it HAS to be central to the system. I know the speakers suck, but the random cutting in and out, with temp. change ?

I'm about to have a buddy's son that used to do stereo installs take a look, he still works for BEER !

If I get anywhere, I'll post it here. We can't be the only two.

Jim

BossMan696

Reaction score
Forgot to update this....

It was indeed the speakers. Once I installed the new speakers they fired up and worked like a charm! I sooooooo missed BASS! :peace:

So if anyone is having that problem, this seemed to be the correct fix. The only problem is now I can hear the darn seatbelt chime again... :sad72:

I never noticed I was being unsafe... Guess this is the best time to get it fixed since it is Click or Ticket season here!

Daryl

Reaction score
Having the same exact issue with my 07 Yukon XL. Been going on now for 6 months or so. Some days I have what seems to be all the speakers working... and some days only a few. Just this past Saturday, only the two front A pillar speakers worked, driver door, and two far rear speakers played. I thought the speakers were to blame.... my son thought it was the head unit. I'm gonna try the speakers and see if that works. Thanks for posting your results.

sr438

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe same problems, I have been in the truck as it heats up in the afternoon the door speakers start working. The next morning as it cooled off over night no door speakers no bass.