Easiest way to add bluetooth to Tahoe??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikos72

Reaction score
If you buy the lockpick from coastaletech DOT com and you add a bluetooth kit it will work through the factory speakers.

Nikos72

Reaction score
OK. First you need the lockpick that unlocks onstar and then you need a device like the motorola ihf-1000. The lockpick has the power feeds and the speaker feeds for the motorola to interface directly with onstar. You connect the wires(+, -, speaker) sync with your phone and you are done. Shouldnt take more than an hour. Check out the coastal website they have quite a few videos on there. If you want to just do bluetooth you would have to find power and ground and use the little speaker that comes with the bluetooth kit. Hope I answered a few questions.

Check this out:
http://www.coastaletech.com/ONSTAR.htm

Karman

Reaction score
I bought a Motorola HF820 wireless bluetooth car kit from web site Digital Outlet for $31.99. I found it a bit clumbersome to use. Have to turn it on and keep it charged up. Also have to turn A/C and radio down when a call comes in or you make one. But it a cheaper method and would probably work very well for some one who is in their car most of the time. Wife's Infiniti has it built in and it works very well.

Nikos72

Reaction score
look up motorola ihf-1000 it is actually hardwired not a little portable IN CAR kit likt motorola claims the 820 is. In my opinion that one is not very good

yukonpyro

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out a way to integrate Bluetooth as well but the problem is that the Onstar microphone set up stinks. The quality of sound on the people you call will be affected and you would get better results with a good quality Bluetooth Speaker unit. I am extremely picky with my Bluetooth quality and just found an awesome all in one unit by an Australian company called Blue Ant. I have been using it for over two weeks and so far I love it. I have not had anyone mention a word about my voice quality. Price is around a hundred bucks. It's a very simple....and affordable option.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give us more info on this Blue Ant setup? Sounds interesting...

yukonpyro

Reaction score
The Blue Ant device attaches to your visor with a magnetic clip and has a pop out microphone on one side of it. When you pop the mic out, it automatically turns on the device and it searches for a Bluetooth signal. Once it syncs you will see it on your phone and from that point on any incoming or outgoing calls connect through the device with a nice quality speaker and great quality mic. As with any Bluetooth technology it is not always 100% perfect but it seems to be the best compromise from any device I've used. It comes with both a car charger and a home charger. The cool thing is I have not had to recharge it and I've used it a lot so far. For just under a hundred bucks it really is the best and easiest Bluetooth option I could find.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, just got back from Europe.

Dirk, I had the 850 installed in my 2001 Tahoe AND LOVED IT. I've now moved it over to my 2007, AND STILL LOVIN' IT!!! Set your phone to 'trust' the unit, and all you have to do is get in, start 'er up, and you're connected. When you shut 'er off, the Bluetooth is disabled. LOVE IT.

I've mounted the speaker on the pillar between the driver door and the driver's side rear door, right above the upper limit of the seat belt shoulder adjustment thingy. The speaker is right behind my left ear, and with the proper volume settings on both the phone and the handsfree speaker...I hear everything. In my 2001, the speaker was positioned on the tranny hump, just forward of the front edge of the center console...BUT I had problems hearing with the speaker buried way down there.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I bought a Motorola HF820 wireless bluetooth car kit from web site Digital Outlet for $31.99. I found it a bit clumbersome to use. Have to turn it on and keep it charged up. Also have to turn A/C and radio down when a call comes in or you make one. .

Most bluetooth kits have a wire to mute the radio when a call is made or received. This wire can be connected to the mute wire on factory and aftermarket radios. Even HU's w/o a Mute wire can be muted using a relay.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know... A lot of you guys are hooked on these aftermarket bluetooth products that come w/ an external speaker you have to install. I'm really particular and kinda like the stereo speakers for my hands free. Can't beat the sound. Also, the "cleaner" the look (i.e., looks like "factory-installed" or OE), the better, IMO. My wife's bluetooth system works just lovely in her ride. The OnStar in the Hoe doesn't sound bad to me either, but I've yet to even think about getting the lockpick for the bluetooth integration. Just not a priority for me right now, I guess...

Super D

Reaction score
Resurrecting an ooooold thread. :)

This was from 5+ years ago, so now what is the best/affordable solution for BT in an '07 Tahoe? I've got the LT w/LTZ options, steering wheel controls, OnStar.

Thank you for any suggestions. I would imagine there are new ones since this thread began.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get an aftermarket unit. I like jvc. They can also play music from your phone too via Bluetooth. I don't think the stock Bluetooth works with audio just phone but I don't know which year they changed to the newer Bluetooth.