Elec. cooling fan mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
good thread, i'm going to be doing this as well in about 2 weeks. i'm also getting the S&B intake, is that what your running? if so how do you like it? again, thanks for the info!

I actually really like the intake. The intake tube is composite, which is better than the other kits that are metal, as it does not soak up nearly as much heat. The air box comes with a pre-cut/drilled, clear acrylic lid so you can check the filter w/out removing anything. The airbox itself is also an advantage to keep the system from sucking in the hot air from the engine bay. And I got mine with a free cleaning and re-oiling kit that comes with a precise metered oiling tube so you lessen the chance of over-oiling the filter and contaminating the MAF.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JK, How'd you get the mounting kit for the two fans? Are they mounted together or separately?

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a cool mod (no pun intended LOL) I think this would be good on my 99

02Yukon

Reaction score
Just did this mod on my 02 Yukon, So far everything works great. A quick note to add for wiring the switch circuit on the relays. You can tap into the wire harness that runs up the front drivers side of the block, right along the P/S pump and ALT, solid green is the trigger for the A/C Fan and the Yellow is the trigger for the Cooling Fan. I am going to see a buddy at the dealership on Saturday to get Pin 42 (yellow wire) set up to activate the cooling fan. I will post back on exact directions for activating pin 42.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Just did this mod on my 02 Yukon, So far everything works great. A quick note to add for wiring the switch circuit on the relays. You can tap into the wire harness that runs up the front drivers side of the block, right along the P/S pump and ALT, solid green is the trigger for the A/C Fan and the Yellow is the trigger for the Cooling Fan. I am going to see a buddy at the dealership on Saturday to get Pin 42 (yellow wire) set up to activate the cooling fan. I will post back on exact directions for activating pin 42.

Let us know how this works. The only reason I didn't do it this way is because I wanted to be able to adjust the temp the fans come on. I'm not sure what the stock turn-on temp is, but ask your buddy if it is programmable through the Tech II tool. Thnx.

Val0412

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Perma cool Fan kit. But there appears to be a couple different models for the 02 tahoe with a 4.8.

It seems to be based on the size of the radiator core, which makes sense. Is there a way to know what size core I have or will I have to pull the shroud to measure myself?

Thanks!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Usually the 4.8 and some 5.3 w/o the HD towing package will come with the smaller radiator. But to be safe, you should measure from end to end of your radiator fins.

riceplanter

Reaction score
Hey JK! I'm about to change my timing belt and a/c belt. I thought to myself, I might as well install the cooling fans since I'm removing the stock fan! My question is how hard is it to install the same fans you have or ones I can get from advance auto? Do they stay on when the engine is on? Which I rather would have them stay on! Any info is appreciated!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey JK! I'm about to change my timing belt and a/c belt. I thought to myself, I might as well install the cooling fans since I'm removing the stock fan! My question is how hard is it to install the same fans you have or ones I can get from advance auto? Do they stay on when the engine is on? Which I rather would have them stay on! Any info is appreciated!
Not too bad to install. You should be able to pick some up from your local auto parts store. I wired mine with an adjustable thermostat to come on at a certain temperature. I also wired it to come on anytime the a/c is on. Only problem with it running constantly is that warm-up will take longer and you end up using more fuel until the engine warms up and the ecm reaches closed loop mode. Also, the fan motor brushes will wear out sooner.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
For those of you who changed from the engine running the fan to an electric system, regardless of the electric system, do you really think it's all worth it.

A lot of us are trying to tweak HP without doing an engine remapping or custom programming. Cat backs, CAI's, etc, etc, there is a lot to "play" with out there.

This one mod makes some sense as you are pulling a load off the engine, less drag. 1 mpg is nice, 2 better, etc,

but, besides the fact that we all like to do mods and play with our rides, do you think this is really worth all the time and effort?

As a side note, one has to wonder what Chev is going to say if and when they see this??

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
For those of you who changed from the engine running the fan to an electric system, regardless of the electric system, do you really think it's all worth it.

A lot of us are trying to tweak HP without doing an engine remapping or custom programming. Cat backs, CAI's, etc, etc, there is a lot to "play" with out there.

This one mod makes some sense as you are pulling a load off the engine, less drag. 1 mpg is nice, 2 better, etc,

but, besides the fact that we all like to do mods and play with our rides, do you think this is really worth all the time and effort?

As a side note, one has to wonder what Chev is going to say if and when they see this??
I always swap over to elec fans on any vehicle I own that comes with stock eng driven fans. You benefit in a few areas, not just one or two. More power, better throttle response, more mileage, colder a/c, and cooler engine (and slightly cooler trans) while towing. GM finally swapped over to elec on their GMT800 platforms in 05. They should have done this a long time ago.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I think if I did this, I would undoubtedly look at a kit that is as much plug and play as I could. My only concern would be pulling the existing fan system off but my thought would be to pull the fan off itself, leaving the pully, which should still help? right?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought the pulley was running through the water pump so i have assumed that it was left off ..and I also would be looking for a plug and play unit much as possible..if they have them in 05 didnt your 06 have this option?

01 suburban ls

Reaction score
I did this mod a couple years ago. I picked up a brand new OEM electric fan assembly I found on craigslist for $50. Then I bought a wiring harness to add electric fans from Nelson performance and had my PCM custom tuned and had the fan option turned on.

Everything works lift it came from the factory that way.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like this mod frees up alot of room for aftermarket intakes, too. Is that accurate?

If that's the case, you could even fab up some kind of custom intake that utilizes a slightly smoother bend going into the thottle body, as opposed to the 90* bend needed to clear the stock fan and shroud. I don't know how much difference that would make, but getting the intake tube farther from the engine and closer to the fans sure couldn't hurt any...

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 99 yuk, the fan can be removed and leave the water pump pully there.
aside from the rotating mass of the fan&clutch, I think that the resistance of spinning the fan in the air is added recovery of power from the engine.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the 99 yuk, the fan can be removed and leave the water pump pully there.
aside from the rotating mass of the fan&clutch, I think that the resistance of spinning the fan in the air is added recovery of power from the engine.

Thats what i was getting to :)