Engine block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know were I can get an engine block heater for my hoe? Or does anyone have one and how has it been? Its starting to get cold up here and last winter we got down to about -40 degrees. Thanks for all the help

u2nv

Reaction score
my thought is get it at dealer. factory one screws in to side of block drivers side right above oil filter havent seen after market ones like this, but suppose you could try local parts stores. all our parts houses carry inline heater n radiator house ones which just cause more spots to leak or magnetic or glue on stuff which I like quallity not just what works quicky stuff. also if you install gm one and you let att fluid drain when you pull plug out u can put all fresh in before winter and know your freeze point is good especially if its been awhile since you last flushed coolant

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that often when the dealers knock out the freeze out plug to install the heater they just drive it into the engine where it settle to the bottom of your engine. Never sounded too good to me but I guess it happens a lot. If that doesn't sound like something you want try doing it yourself or find someone you trust.

u2nv

Reaction score
no go buy it at dealer and install urself and it doesnt go into a freeze plug it is a threaded in plug so nothing still in block

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I live in a smaller town and know one of the mechanics pretty well, I will see if he can order the part for me and maybe even put it in. Does anyone have anyexperience using them?? Can you leave them plugged in for long amounts of time? Thanks again!

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check on the amount of power the block heater draws - it can really hit your electricity bill if you leave it on all night. I heard a lot of people put a timer on their block heater, set it for very early in the morning...

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont realy care if it draws a lot of power cause it is freezing here all the time in the winter. If its gonna help my truck and make it last longer im fine with that!

l080100

Reaction score
I dont realy care if it draws a lot of power cause it is freezing here all the time in the winter. If its gonna help my truck and make it last longer im fine with that!

Cold... good times! I've found it cheaper to keep our garage heated to 40 degrees all winter (natural gas heat) than to run an engine block heater. We used to have an F-250 Diesel, and the Ford block heater would draw 1700 watts.....

Not sure on the GM Units though....

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you pay for electricity, but lets say it's $0.10 per Kilowatt hour (thats what I pay here). Most block heaters draw around 1000watts, or a kilowatt. So every hour that your heater is plugged in it would cost you 10 cents. So at most it would cost you like a buck to leave it plugged in all night. I plugged mine in tonight because it's -15 right now and suppose to get down to -22. It's better to pay a little and have your vehicle start easily.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOu only need to run the block heater for a couple of hours before you start it. Timer is the way to go. UP here it can get down to -40.

My tahoe was brought up from the US and never had a block heater. It was -30 the other day and it started. Didnt like to start it that cold, but what can you do. Im looking into installed a blocker heater myself, so Im looking for some more info on it.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the one that came with my 03 from the factory is 1000watts. Definitely don't leave it one for too long or you're paying out the a$$. I plug it in about 30 mins before leaving and it gets the truck to temp about 3 mins after I start it.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know if anybody cares but I have been plugging in my engine block heater most nights on my hoe. I figured it was about a $50 increase on my electric bill. Yeah its alot but the sounds it makes when I dont plug it in make me cringe! I guess thats what you get for living in the cold!

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to be plugging it in every night you need to get it on a timer. for just a couple of nights it's not worth getting a timer. It only needs to be plugged in for about 2 hours before you start it, so a timer would save you on your electric bill.