Factory Sub & Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool1166

Reaction score
I have a 2004 LS Tahoe. No Bose, no Onstar. Bench seat in the front. Frickin' base model in every way.

Anyway, I'm in the process of upgrading my factory stuff and I'll post some pics in the next few weeks.

I heard a rumor that there's a factory amp and sub in this model? Somewhere under the front seat? Is that right?

And if so, what size is the sub (8" 10") and what sort of amp is in there (2 channel, 3 channel)? Anyway to find out specifics?

Thanks in advance.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:skep:enless you have bose, I dont think you have an amp or sub. But you aint missing much, the upgraded sound system aint that much better.

joecool1166

Reaction score
Manager at the installation shop says all Tahoe 2000+ models have the factory amp and sub under the front seat regardless of Bose.

Guess we'll find out for sure in a few days. Having an Avic Z3 installed with Infinity components in the front and coaxials in the back. No $$ left for new amp and/or sub.

He's going to let me know exactly what I've got under there and I'll report back (for whatever it's worth and for future reference on this forum). Thanks for taking the time to respond.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Manager at the installation shop says all Tahoe 2000+ models have the factory amp and sub under the front seat regardless of Bose...

Sorry, but the manager has given you false info. 00-02 models has the sub option in the left rear quarter trim panel, 8" sub. 03+ models are underneath the forward portion of the center console, 6" sub. All GMT-800 SUV platforms are equipped with an amp, but not all are available with a sub.

joecool1166

Reaction score
Yeah, I was skeptical when he told me that; and that's why I posted on here. Knew I'd find better info on the variation from model to model, year to year. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

deejaa

Reaction score
On an 02?

Where would I find an Amp on an 02 Yukon non Bose(if there is one). I definitely have the Sub in the rear quarter. Also If one were to replace all Speakers and HU is it a much difference using the stock wiring over say Monster or the likes.

Slyonic

Reaction score
Where would I find an Amp on an 02 Yukon non Bose(if there is one). I definitely have the Sub in the rear quarter. Also If one were to replace all Speakers and HU is it a much difference using the stock wiring over say Monster or the likes.

If the 02 Yukon is anything like the 00 Tahoe, the amp is behind the glove compartment.

I personally think that if you change the HU and speaker wires, you wouldn't really notice any difference. Now if you had an amplifier between the wires and HU, that'd be a different story, in my opinion.