Flowmaster 50 SUV Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Well, hopefully I'm taking the right step.

My objective here is a quiet, deep rumble, no or very little increase in interior noise, and possibly some improved mpg combined with my existing Volant CAI.

I have a shop installed the Flowmaster 50 SUV Performance as I type this. It will be a single in and dual out, both pipes exiting behind the passenger side rear tire to a dual stainless tip.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I had a 50 series on my 06 and it was pretty mellow. Now I have another 50 series on my 07. still happy with it.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the difference in the 50 and 40 series? How is the sound difference vs stock. I have a yukon and Im looking to do this soon. Can you show pictures of your dual outs...

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I am not first-hand familiar with the 40 series except to tell you that the shop I went to told me that the majority of their sales are the 40 series. It seems like a lot of people, I am not one of them, want the louder sounding pipes.

My objective was to give the Tahoe a little better flow due to the Volant and give me a deep, robust sound but not bring any more resonance into the vehicle that necessary. Although I can here the 50 when I step on it and with the windows open, I'm very pleased with the slight increase in sound and up on the highway at 80 she's very smooth, responsive and no interior noise increase.

I'll try to put a pic on my web shortly, but I basically have dual pipes coming out at the stock location with each having it's own stainless tip.

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the outcome be the same just replacing the muffler and using the stock piping? I know it would be alot cheaper but how would it sound?
Thanks

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a ForceII 50 series and i love it!!

It is really meallow but when you put your foot into it it roars.

you will notice it geting louder as you drive and it gets broken in.. i noticed after about a month it reached its peak toned rumble.

Nothing but the best to say about it!!!!

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 350 for the entire cat back. But I had a friend that ordered it for me. i think you can get it in the 400 range

6liter

Reaction score
I run the magnaflow on my 02.It sounds great at idle ,cruise and accelleration.A little louder in the cab but not noticeable at cruising speeds.

urban camo

Reaction score
The 40 series is a more compact two chamber flowmaster, its the classic flowmaster sound, the 50 series is a bigger muffler to fit suv and pick-ups (5"x10"x17") and its a three chamber muffler, so it has almost the same exterior tone but it greatly decreases the interior tone, i would recommend the classic 50 series or the delta flow 50 series :thumbsup:

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i did a magnaflow but only because they didnt have the 50 series they had the 40 series and they only one I could find was with a single in and dual out. On an 03 denali its dual in and out so I got the magnaflow. Its loud when accelerating but when cruising its just fine. I have noticed some better gas mileage and performance and it ran me about 250.00 installed with a chrome tip

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I threw a Flowmaster 50 Series regular muffler on my Yukon and love it. Its the perfect blend of agressive tone when you get on it, but not stupidly loud where everyone in your neighborhood hates when you come home. I didn't want the 40 series, I'm not trying to have my Yukon sounding like some HS kid's F150. Got slight mileage gains once I got my foot outta the floor, and it has a very nice rumble @ idle. Overall I'm very pleased, I wasn't sure if it was going to be loud enough when I decided with the 50 but I'm glad I did.

Next truck I get I wanna run a Borla system, but I'll have to get a hell of a deal cause I don't want to spend $700+ on my exhaust....The flowmaster cost me $275 installed

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Not sure who you were asking but mine was $430. installed. The shop did not carry it so they had to order it in and then I had single in, dual out both going behind the ps rear tire with a stainless tip.

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the outcome be the same just replacing the muffler and using the stock piping? I know it would be alot cheaper but how would it sound?
Thanks

OK I have been putting it off, I will get my video up this week of my stock piping and my Classic 50 series. Paid $200 out the door, installed for the muffler and absolutely love it. I have just been lazy in videoing the sound but I will bring the camera and tape a quick startup and rev for you guys so you can hear an 01 HOe with the muffler swap and a Flowmaster 50 on it. I am very very happy with the purchase.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I don't have enough knowledge in this field but would think that the backpressure would change somewhat between a dual out and a single out and it would create a different sound but how much would be hard to tell.

I know that I was debating for some time and finally found another board member who was local and had a 50 on his truck and I loved the sound.

In as much as listening on line is nice, you need to try and find someone locally. There is nothing that is going to compare to hearing those pipes locally and admiring the sound.