Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fudog

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel and I want to change the fuel filter but I cant get the tool on one side to release the line. One side of the filter is threaded and the other needs a special tool to get the line off but my problem is there is not enough room get the tool to clamp around and push in to release. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!:mad: :iq:

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a special tool that is for the flex fuel tahoe's. It's a 3 piece design.

slickpartner

Reaction score
i wish someone would have told me this 3 weeks ago. i spent a couple of hours and damn near destroyed the filter and adapter. but hey i got it changed..

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Slick off the subject but I have the picture for your sig line.

y8527_450.jpg

02Tahoez

Reaction score
I bought my tool from Schucks, they special ordered it and it was the cheapest around. Works great. The first time I tried to change my filter it took about 3 hour using a hacksaw and a coat hanger, man it wasnt easy.

02Tahoez

Reaction score
I dont remember the cost, it wasnt over $20
You get three pieces. The tool and two half pieces that fit around the line.

tvsethi

Reaction score
ohh wow i thought i was insane and ignorant lol mine has the same issue now ima go look for it !!!

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
You really don't need a special tool. With needle nose pliers you should be able to compress the little locking clips after getting the original out. I fought getting the original filter out (finally just ended up yanking on it to break the original locking clips because they were recessed far enough that no tool would get them to release), but the replacement from the GM dealer has locking clips that stick out a little further.

Definately don't waste the money on any "special tool".

tvsethi

Reaction score
see thats the problem you cant see any clips at all on the original, it guess they have also recessed like urs did so do u recomend just pulling hard as H***? and then just putting the new one in ?

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Yes, just back off the nut on the rear of the original filter. The front is held in the fitting by a little metal spring clip. I just pulled it towards the rear of the Tahoe. The little metal clip will probably get ruined, but that's alright because you don't reuse it anyway. I wasted two hours trying to find a "special tool" to release the original metal clip. Just check the fuel line fitting to make sure you get all of the metal clip out.

The replacement I got from the GM dealer has plastic tabs that stick out far enough to release with needle nose pliers.

CJR2

Reaction score
Dangerous advice

As all the local shops wanted 40 to 60 bucks to install an $ 8.00 filter I changed my fuel filter myself today and despite my better judgment, I followed the "yank it" off method. I stopped as it wouldn't come loose with reasonable force. Instead I took a large screw driver and pried it loose wedging it between the filter body and the fuel line. It took several attempts before it came loose. I removed the metal clip from inside the fuel line and installed the new one.

Here's why the "yank it" method is a very bad idea. The "yanked" fuel line clip came off at the junction due to "yanking on it". While tucking the line back up in place the clip luckily fell out on the floor. After looking around the junction I found where it had come off. I pushed the line back into position and reinstalled the clip. If I hadn't the Tahoe could have been a flaming ball of fire going down the highway with my wife and kids in it.:mad2:

Think twice before forcing any part off your car, especially those that burn!! The proper tools are a wise investment.:yesnod:

Last edited:

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the tool at Pep Boys (useless for $7.99). We ended up cutting it off at the filter and then working it loose with screwdrivers and picks. The clip that holds it is a 4 prong metal bracket. When installing the new one, we did not put the clip back in but instead used the plastic one that came with the filter. Changing next time will be a lot easier.

CJR2

Reaction score
I bought the tool at Pep Boys (useless for $7.99). We ended up cutting it off at the filter and then working it loose with screwdrivers and picks. The clip that holds it is a 4 prong metal bracket. When installing the new one, we did not put the clip back in but instead used the plastic one that came with the filter. Changing next time will be a lot easier.

The replacement filter looks likes it will be a snap to remove. :D

I had fuel all over me so I was a little nervous about using any cutting tools. Also I didn't mention in my original post it but the fuel filter mounting bracket was not easy to remove or reinstall either. I kept feeling around for a QD as the top bolt was a b#thch to get to.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the luxury of a lift so it was much easier to see. The fuel hose drained after we disconnected the rear of the filter. Then we took the holder bracker off. That made it easier to grasp the filter and see what was the issue. Finally we used snips to just cut it off. Then 2 minutes later, it came off. This was at 5:45PM last Saturday when my friend and I decided we were past "the point of no return" (auto parts stores closed in 15 minutes and I wasn't sure if I had the right filter). It turns out that I did (Pep Boys Purolator filter for 2002 Flex Fuel Tahoe). Now I have 20,000 miles to think about it.

CJR2

Reaction score
I put the Tahoe's driver side up on ramps that I made for my 03 Vette and then used my racing jack to get a another few inches out of the suspension.

I had a lot of room laying on the garage floor but a lift would be a true blessing!!

diggerdpilot

Reaction score
I just went through this tonight, (actually, I posted before I found this thread. I almost did the jerk thing, but was past the parts store closing thing, so I bailed tonight. I will look for the 3 piece tool tomorrow, and another filter since the .01 clip on mine already busted.
2 questions, if someone will indulge, does that tool put 2 rings around the line, and then the other piece push it into the female part, or how does it work?
And, I am doing this chasing a definate miss on the #1 cylinder. Good spark, and the injector appears (by listening with a metal rod) to be tapping. I figure the injector has plugged, but would change the filter and hope for the best first. Is it possible a restricted filter would starve that #1 cylinder for fuel, since it is farthest away? My check engine light flashes beyond 20MPH, and holds steady below that, so I thought maybe it was getting enough fuel to throw a pending code at idle, but not enough to properly fire when in the gas.

I am somewhat desparate, but more frustrated by a lack of fix for now. I miss turning a distributor to change timing!

Thanks, digger

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I never saw the 3 piece tool. The one I got was 2 piece shaped like a pair of pliers. We had to grind it down a bit to make it skinny enough to slide up inside but as I said, ended up abandoning the tool and cutting the filter off at the tube end out of the front of the filter. That gave enough access to get it off. You don't reuse the clip anyway. The plastic tab piece that replaces it sticks out far enough that I don't think you need anything other than your fingers to get it off.