Fuel pump after fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Alright I have a 99 Tahoe 2 dr. The fuel pump constantly goes after only a few months. Left me stranded miles from my house last week. This is my 4th fuel pump since 2008. If someone has any idea what could be causing this please don't hesitate to inform. Thank you.
ChEvyTiLdeAtH

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I have a 99 Tahoe 2 dr. The fuel pump constantly goes after only a few months. Left me stranded miles from my house last week. This is my 4th fuel pump since 2008. If someone has any idea what could be causing this please don't hesitate to inform. Thank you.
ChEvyTiLdeAtH

Do you normally fill the tank all the way when refueling? In other words, what is the normal level of fuel most of the time? There is a box surrounding the fuel pump that is supposed to be filled by the return fuel line. The fuel pump depends on that box staying full, to cool the pump, when the fuel level is lower than the fuel pump.

Next time you are replacing the pump, be sure that the box is not cracked or other wise damaged. Either that, or try to keep the tank half to full all the time. :)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I agree with 95TwinTT. Sometimes the baffles in the tank deteriorate over time and don't hold fuel. The fuel is what keeps the pump running cool, keeping it from burning out.

chevbro

Reaction score
Fuel tank follies

I heard the same thing when my pump packed it in. To keep the tank full. Sorry to hear that you had to do it more than once, the price of the pump is Highway Robbery.
I would also wonder about the quality of the fuel you are putting in, has the Gas Station you normally use been around for a long time?

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
I was using Bosch the past 3 pumps but this time I bought the pump straight from GM. 416.00 later and 3 months it went. I just have to find the time to put the new one in. I also whenever I turn my key to the on position all my doors lock. It's not supposed to do that. I don't know if I have an electrical problem and this would cause my fuel pump to fry or shut off for security reasons? This is just what I have heard that it might be a security issue or wiring maybe somewhere to make my pump die.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool option if it actually came with your hoes lol but i would definately try and track down any electrical issues plus ide assume if the pump only lasted 3 months it should still be under warranty correct???

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
yeah its still under warranty but I want to try and fix the problem so I don't have to keep dropping the tank ha ha ya know. I won't take it to a mechanice anymore cuz all of them around here **** cars up.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its still under warranty but I want to try and fix the problem so I don't have to keep dropping the tank ha ha ya know. I won't take it to a mechanice anymore cuz all of them around here **** cars up.

Besides the fuel pump assembly that has been replaced 4 times. Have you changed or check the PIGTAIL that plugs into the fuel pump assembly. The car end of it!!!!!!!

John

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do the pump swap, do you completely remove the tank? After removing the pump, look inside and make sure nothing is restricting the flow of fuel to the pump. I have 224,000 miles on my truck and I've only replaced the pump twice.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he should look up TSB 04--6-04-088c dated Aug 24 06. This adress's the repeat failure. He should check to see what pigtail he has. I've had to do a bunch of these. My work software will not allow me to post a snap shot.

John

ChevyTilDeath

Reaction score
Where exactly am I looking for the pigtail?? Is that the plastic tit for the hose for pressure that connects to the pump?

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what it is about this pigtail, that causes a pump to burn out?

Thanks in advance...:)

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Pigtail is the electrical connector that connects from the truck wire harness to the top of the pump assembly. That TSB covers 96-99 and up to 02 also. When we change pump assembly we check to make sure the pigtail is good. These can get bad enough to melt the connection. Some dont look bad but you can see it has been hot.

John

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks John,

So if I understand this correctly, there are times when the pump has not actually failed, but the changing of the pump exercises the old connection enough to make it work for a while?

What is the best way to test the old pigtail to be sure it is OK?

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes TT this does happen. You remove the connection to change pump and move it around and it works for a while. I have gotten bitten by this once. It will never happen again.
As for testing you can use a ohm meter but the issue is with the small surface area of the connector. Normally you can see whats going on. Discolored or in bad cases melted. Normally its the ground side of the wire. If there is any doubt in my mind I will change out the pigtail. The old pigtail uses the small weather pack male/female ends. Also its a square pigtail with 2 of them on top of each other. The newer one is a flat stlye connector.

This would be so easy if I could post my work info...........

John

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, John. I like to have reasons for things going wrong. It makes it easier to remember.

It sounds like the new pigtail should be part of the replacement pump kit. Is it a AC Delco part? I don’t suppose you would have the part number?

I think I will replace the pigtail in mine, just to be up to code. It's not much fun to remove the tank but it's better safe than sorry.

It still seems strange that any part of the pump could get hot if it is submerged like it is supposed to be.

Has anyone come up with a test to check the integrity of the plastic box that is supposed to keep the pump submerged?

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple test. When you remove the pump assembly it should have a bunch of fuel in it. I always have to dump them out.
Make sure there is nothing in the tank. Because the tank is black it is very hard to see if there is any junk sitting on the bottom.

I can get you the part number in the moning, I can even do one better, You have a fax number.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple test. When you remove the pump assembly it should have a bunch of fuel in it. I always have to dump them out.
Make sure there is nothing in the tank. Because the tank is black it is very hard to see if there is any junk sitting on the bottom.

I can get you the part number in the moning, I can even do one better, You have a fax number.

A fax would be great, if you don’t mind.

Send it to

Delden Film Lab
Attention Del
952-881-1460

Thanks again for the info.