Gas gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on what its doing. there are multiple problems that can cause different results.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^yup what he said, give us some more details....

h82work1

Reaction score
There has been so many answers from fork to take off and fill with oil .I have the going nuts gas gauge 96 Tahoe moves back and forth erratic new tank and sending unit no help How do i fix it

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, I just deal with it, picked up a syringe, haven't messed with getting the silicone oil yet. More interested in getting the new engine jammed in right at the minute.

Jaybiz1980

Reaction score
It's a Tahoe thing.

Mine does that too. I have this fun game I play driving to work called what do I really have. Downhill=empty. Uphill=full level is never right while moving and at a standstill after comming to a stop it never stops moving. My 89 Jimmy was like this and my 81 c10 stepside too. I'm assuming there's no baffles in the tank to stop this from happening like other vehicles. I have a new tank new sending unit with pump, new trans, new beefed up engine. Same only tbi setup. I hate it. Oh and this Tahoe is a 95

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96+ have the PCM filter the signal (which is why they hummingbird because the PMW is too slow and the dampening fluid leaks out of the gauge)..... :)

h82work1

Reaction score
go on e bay and buy the new gauge it called a stepper motor 39.00 free shipping easy to take dash off or go on u tube very good step by step guide . My did same thing and the motor is bad oil is not going to fix it .You will see how hard the needle moves

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H82work1, check youself before you get lost man, you suggestion would be valid if you were in the 99+ forum where they DID use stepper motors, in the 99-88 they used a linear motor that contained a dampning fluid (oil) and the ones 95 earlier were driven IIRC right off the sender in the tank. 96-99 OBS were driven off a pulsed output of the PCM in an attempt to go digital.