gas mileage...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk2k6gun

Reaction score
I just recently took a trip in my 2008 Tahoe and I filled up the tank before I left. I didn't need to stop to get gas and the "Low Fuel" indicator didn't come on until about 472 miles into the trip. Is that about right? To me, that seems to be some pretty good gas mileage. The Tahoe was fully loaded with luggage and my wife and son...I even had the AC on the entire way. On the way back, the low fuel light came on around 470. I guess I'm just excited that the Tahoe gets way better gas mileage than my Dodge Magnum...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess you were averaging about 18 or 19, sounds about right if you were on the highway the whole time and not really speeding...

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently took a trip in my 2008 Tahoe and I filled up the tank before I left. I didn't need to stop to get gas and the "Low Fuel" indicator didn't come on until about 472 miles into the trip. Is that about right? To me, that seems to be some pretty good gas mileage. The Tahoe was fully loaded with luggage and my wife and son...I even had the AC on the entire way. On the way back, the low fuel light came on around 470. I guess I'm just excited that the Tahoe gets way better gas mileage than my Dodge Magnum...

The Tahoe has a 26 gallon tank. I'm not sure when the low fuel light comes on, but if it is around 4 gallons left in the tank that would put your fuel mileage around 19.6 mpg. Not bad. The best I have got is in the winter not running the air, on a flat land trip. It was right at 21.5 mpg

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is alot of mileage on a tank! I have taken a 5.7 Magnum on a long trip before, and granted it cant go as far, but it still got better mileage, Around 25 miles per gallon. The reason the tahoe can go so far is because it has a considerably large 26 gallon tank.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it 26 gallon tank or a 30?

My burb has a 31 gallon tank and I thought that the tahoe had a 30?

Nope.. 26 gallon. I checked the owners manual before I posted to the site. reason I checked was to see if I could find out how many gallons were left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. I don't let mine get down that low most of the time so couldn't remember. However 26 is the correct size for a 2007 and 2008 Tahoe :thumbsup:

PS: The manual shows the burb to have a 31.5 :eek2:

Last edited:

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how fast were you driving? that's super nice MPG.

blk2k6gun

Reaction score
With the speed limit at 70 MPH, I always set the cruise control at 72 MPH.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds right. The Tahoe is not as bad as everybody (general public) thinks. I have been taking it easy driving in the city and I am getting around 17 mpg :).

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand one thing. I do 90% highway driving. I've had the tahoe for about 2 1/2 months now. My speeds are usually between 65-75 mph. All I've averaged is a crappy 14.8 mpg. I'm the only one ever really in the truck. I don't even have the 3rd row seat. I took out it so I wouldn't get jacked.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I filled up yesterday, my remaining gas mileage meter said I would go 420 miles on that tank, it cost me $90 to fill it up though but I thought 420 miles is pretty good.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand one thing. I do 90% highway driving. I've had the tahoe for about 2 1/2 months now. My speeds are usually between 65-75 mph. All I've averaged is a crappy 14.8 mpg. I'm the only one ever really in the truck. I don't even have the 3rd row seat. I took out it so I wouldn't get jacked.

Actually I noticed that the mileage went down when the Tahoe was using gas from California :ktoe:. We were down there a few times and the Tahoe used a lot of fuel (not too much stop and go, tried to time driving on the freeways around rush hours). Hmmm... not sure if the formulation is different down there.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I noticed that the mileage went down when the Tahoe was using gas from California :ktoe:. We were down there a few times and the Tahoe used a lot of fuel (not too much stop and go, tried to time driving on the freeways around rush hours). Hmmm... not sure if the formulation is different down there.

All I ever use is Chevron with techron. I never use any other gas. How do I reset my MPG counter? I'm gonna try and start it all over again.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score

California gas is oxygenated with either MTBE (old way) or ethanol (new way). There's less energy content in it, hence worse mpg.

Stupid and short-sighted on CA's part.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I ever use is Chevron with techron. I never use any other gas. How do I reset my MPG counter? I'm gonna try and start it all over again.

In DIC, display the mpg then press the "Check" DIC button until it resets.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California gas is oxygenated with either MTBE (old way) or ethanol (new way). There's less energy content in it, hence worse mpg.

Stupid and short-sighted on CA's part.

or increased revenue on CA's part since people get less bang for their buck, hence filling up more than usual (however little bit that may be).

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In DIC, display the mpg then press the "Check" DIC button until it resets.

Just to update you guys I finally reset the MPG counter and I'm getting the right read. I'm getting about 17 mpg on the highway. I notice the reader constantly changing according to the way I'm driving. That's something it wasn't doing before when all it would show is 14.9. Thanks for the answer.

powellcrazy

Reaction score
We have 36k miles on our '07, the best we have ever got was 15 mpg, and the last two months around 12 MPG, thats HWY driving.
This is our 5th tahoe, 1st a '97 w/5.7 3.73 4X4 and got 18, each one since has gotten worse. What gives. Smaller motor, less power and less MPG:mad3::mad2::mad::cuss:

Is anyone else noticing a drop in MPG when using the same grade and brand of fuel, same driving habits, ect...