Gauge says Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realgadawg

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I just had the engine in my 1999 Chevy Tahoe replaced.
Now that that has been done. The temp gauge keeps saying that the engine is running hot, but it's not. What could cause this? The gauge worked fine before the swap. Thanks:whymewhyme:

Busguy1959

Reaction score
Does the gauge go straight to hot when you turn the key on or does it gradually go to hot as the motor runs? If it goes straight to hot you might check the temp sender wire to see if it's rubbing against anything that would be grounding it out. If it gradually gets hotter as it runs I would suspect a stuck thermostat or bad water pump, if those were transferred from the old motor during the swap. Or it could be just something simple like a bad sender.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check that the belt is on the right way if it slowly goes up in temp....

50kta

Reaction score
im in the same boat ... ihave a 2001 tahoe 5.3 replace water pump t-stat temp sensor , "burped" the coolent system ... the rite way. and the gauge still goes to 240 + - half way between 210 and 260 and just sits there.... wether im running heater or air... im almost to the point i hate my tahoe. and i have had it about 6 months.

djdub20

Reaction score
Tahoe running warm

im in the same boat ... ihave a 2001 tahoe 5.3 replace water pump t-stat temp sensor , "burped" the coolent system ... the rite way. and the gauge still goes to 240 + - half way between 210 and 260 and just sits there.... wether im running heater or air... im almost to the point i hate my tahoe. and i have had it about 6 months.

Did you figure out what was causing your tahoe to run hot? I'm in the exact same boat you were in. I replaced the intake gasket this summer when it blew along with the water pump. It started running warm recently. So I changed the termostat & and radiator cap. Still runs at 240 most of the time. I'm concerned about when the weather starts to warm up that it will be a serious issue.

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any update??? mine runs over 210 in the dead of winter, replace my w/p and thero

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flushed replace W/P leaking, new thermo, fresh fluid Replacing temp sensor next month.
as far as the radiator looks and i put water thru it what i put in came out clean no debre or anytheing when flushing

SouthJerseyTahoe

Reaction score
How do you know its not running hot? Have you checked the data stream? There is a ground wire on the thermostat housing bolt that commonly gets damaged during a swap. Coolant temp sensor is right next to exhaust manifold so it could have been routed wrong and burned up and shorting out on the manifold.