Going to Snowshoe in a 2wd Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayjysmth

Reaction score
Hey guys, the wifey and I are heading to Snowshoe WV in Jan. for a snowboarding trip. I have never been there and don't really know how they keep their roads up.

For those of you that have been before, do you think I would be ok taking the Tahoe even though it's 2wd? I do have new tires on so that will help a little.

We could drive my wife's AWD BMW X5 but there is not nearly as much room for all the stuff and there's another couple going with us.

Just wanted some of your advice as this is the first 2wd Tahoe I have owned, I know the 4wd will go right through the deep stuff but am a little unsure of my 2007.

jayjysmth

Reaction score
Now you are speaking chinese to me!!!

How do I find out if I do/don't have this?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. There's a label inside the glovebox that lists all of the option codes.

jayjysmth

Reaction score
No G80 code, just double checked.

Does anyone drive up to Snowshoe so that I can get an idea how well they salt, etc?
I am thinking being a major ski resort the roads are taken care of pretty well but want to be sure before I take the Tahoe.

jetcruiser

Reaction score
should be good

I've driven there a dozen or times over the years. Used to have a '74 oldsmobile wagon, made it no problem even when there was snow on the road. make sure you go off the back of the hill and hit cupp run a couple times!!

jayjysmth

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jet

I assumed they would groom the roads but wanted to be sure.
I am so used to driving Tahoes on long trips I dont think I could do it in anything smaller w/ all of our gear.

Thanks again

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would take the vehicle with AWD/4WD. I am assuming there are going to be some uphill climbs... I have seen too many vehicles on the side of the road going snowboarding (any mountain).

Besides, what type of tires did you have installed? Better to have AWD as back-up and not used, then suffering without. Stay safe :).

ram6402

Reaction score
+1 on hitting Cupp Run, great slope!!! They do a pretty good job of maintaining the roads. Haven't been there in quite a few years, BUT the last time I was there was for a long weekend and they got 30" of snow while I was there. Glad we had a 4x4 vehicle with us otherwise we wouldn't have gone anywhere!!!

lawrencesor

Reaction score
just went up to wrightwood here in socal after recent snow and uphill wasn't so bad in my 2wd 07. I just deflated some air in my tires to be approx 35 psi. which significantly increased traction both up hill and downhill. Just have a light foot. The truck is already heavy so I'm sure you'll be fine.

jayjysmth

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I normally drop the air in my tires when we are driving on the beach in a 4wd so I figured the same philosophy would work on snow to some extent.

I figured w/ 4 adults, luggage for 4 days, and gear we will have enough weight to get a decent amount of traction.

Thanks again.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you should be fine, I was up in Kentucky on business last winter and ran into an unexpected snow storm. Between the Stabilitrak and stock all terrains, it handled it pretty well. I mean I'm only talking about 3 inches of snow, but that's coming from somebody that had never driven in more than a half inch max. I'm sure they ice the roads pretty well up there they probably have people coming from way north and way south of there and odds are people coming up from the south aren't going to have 4x4.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on which south your talking about. REdnecks or soccor moms. Country folk want 4x4 for mud??:lol:

These trucks have great traction contol and have seen them preform in 8-10 inches with out ever needing the 4x4. Go and have fun.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on which south your talking about. REdnecks or soccor moms. Country folk want 4x4 for mud??:lol:

These trucks have great traction contol and have seen them preform in 8-10 inches with out ever needing the 4x4. Go and have fun.

Here in Atlanta and Clearwater its pretty hard to find a 4x4 on the lots unless its a Z71 theres just no need for it. You probably get more of them outside the city limits who knows. All I know is I wouldn't give it too much thought either way I wouldn't anticipate you having trouble.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2wd here in central IL... no stranger to snow and ice. No problems on unplowed roads up to about 8"... but I do have the G80 locking rear diff. Only time needed 4wd was after jacking around the neighborhood and went head-first into a 4 foot drift. Took some rocking but got her out.

eddiedav

Reaction score
All this talk about Snowshoe caused me to make reservations this coming weekend!!! :) I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ... This will be my first real trip in my Hoe and its first time seeing snow!!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Last edited:

jayjysmth

Reaction score
Hey Eddie, mind reporting back how the roads were?

This is my first Tahoe thats 4x4 and I am just unsure of it's capabilities.

I think I will be ok according to you guys w/ the experience of driving a 2wd in the snow.

eddiedav

Reaction score
Hey Jay - I'll report back for sure!! Looks like I'll be removing my 3rd row seats this evening for the first time too. Are those things pretty easy to put back in??? :)