Gurgling sound???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Today when I got home from work(about 20 mile drive),my hoe was making a gurgling sound. So I jumped out, popped the hood, and located bubbling in the coolant reservoir. Opened up the radiator (slowly,to relieve pressure) and it was full(surprise to me,if you've read earlier threads) .what is this? Is it connected to the black,plastic valve I mentioned earlier? Thanks for the input

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you note the engine temp? Is the heater working properly? What black valve from earlier thread? If your not going to bump your old thread then we need the original info as well.

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Whatdoyoumean bump?sorry,such a newbie. Yeah heat works fine. Earlier, we were talking about the little black,heater core valve that was leaking coolant-which has mysteriously stopped,I assume bc radiator was full and resorvior was just a bit low.but here in Bama, I only use the heater sporadically. Maybe a few minutes early in the mornings and if its cold,again on the way home. I've only had this 97 2dr since january, and already put a new radiator in it two months later, new front wheel bearings (bout died cuz the abs acted up bc of these),the steering is all twitchy when I switch lanes or get on an exit ramp with a curve(already replaced evo sensor,nochange) and it has a bad exhaust leak that previous owner masked withsteel putty that soon baked off, andmisses like crazy u Dr load or if Im climbing a hill.the odometer says 123k, but Im having my doubts

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well keep the coolant full and monitor it. We can address the other problems one at a time. We are here to help. If you got money, I got ideas!!!!!!! LOL! Sorry

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wonder if you dont have a bad head gasket with the bubbling into the overflow?

Miss could be a gasket, an ignition issue (think cap/ rotor / wires) or even distributor out of alignment. Check MAP sensor and fuel pressure.

Have you scanned it for codes? Does the Service Engine Soon Light cycle when starting the truck?

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Check engine has been on since I got it.
Code reader all points to exhaust leak.4 codes popping. Miss real bad right after cranking when cold or parked on incline-and very noticeable if I try to get up to speed on the interstate and it is uphill. Oh yeah,y-pipe is two separate pieces, 1 driver,1 passenger. The one leaking is passenger sideand goes all the way to a double clamp about 2 ft from muffler

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now we find out it has CEL on since you owned it? Share the codes. C'mon man! Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!! Your description makes it sound like maybe two problems but if have head gasket problems like lesterl said, maybe related to miss and popping. Why do some of you guys think it is no big deal to not share everything?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are shure that all 4 of your codes are exhaust related, you tell me what a MAP sensor is then.... BTW it is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor used for calculating engine load.

The codes may be signs of something other than the obvious that is why we asked for them....

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Hold up. I don't know what the codes were. My cousin,whos a mechanic for u-haul,did the scan and told me we couldn't figure out what else was wrong till I got the exhaust leak fixed,BC all4 codes had to do with that .he left it at that, thinking I was gonna run and get it fixed then.i haven't had the money nor the time to address it yet, i work 60 hrs a week plus lay tile and build decks on the side. All Im trying to do is figure out what's wrong with my truck-my only vehicle.so i drive it everyday. And ever since I got it it's been one thing after another. If I knew which codes i would tell you. I am not a mechanic. I try to do my own work and learn as i go.I wish I knew more,and had the money to pay somebody to make it how i want. But I don't. So, I got this gurgling sound ...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you stated mater of factly that the codes were related to the exhaust leak, I didnt know UHaul ran tahoes.... Please stop by a parts store and have the codes pulled (dont buy any parts), post the codes here so we know what is going on with it.....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lesterl is correct. Just generally saying 4 codes related to exhaust tells us ZIP! Get the exact code numbers from the parts store and if can get what the scanner says the numbers stand for and report back to us. Trying to help someone figure out what is wrong with their rig means we need details to hand out advice and general info is typically no help and therefore you waste money buying parts that may or may not fix anything.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can look up the Pxxxx numbers, just post up what you find out and that will be a big help.

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Ok. I'm fixing the exhaust leak tomorrow. Then I'll run diagnostic again and write down the codes. It's only gurgled that one time but it's missing real bad and I have to let it warm up 10 minutes . Thanks for your time and input

tahoe nick

Reaction score
PO108, PO161, PO305B

My understanding is MAP sensor, O2 sensor (bank2 sensor2) & misfire #5. Is it true if the check engine light is on the truck runs in some sort of "safe" mode with reduced HP & MPG?

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO108, PO161, PO305B

My understanding is MAP sensor, O2 sensor (bank2 sensor2) & misfire #5. Is it true if the check engine light is on the truck runs in some sort of "safe" mode with reduced HP & MPG?

First try cleaning the MAF with cleaner from the parts store and follow directions. Make sure to check the wiring and connections at the sensor and all the tubing to be sure is clamped tight and has no holes. The O2 sensor you list id the rear sensor at the passenger side. That is telling you the efficiency of that cat convertor. May be failing cat or failing sensor. If sensors have anything over 60k on them, then replace them all and see if that code stays away but also check the wiring and connections at that sensor. The misfire of #5 is the 3rd plug from front on drivers side. Too bad it is not on passenger side since that would help explain the passenger side cat and sensor problems. Check #5 plug for fouling. Pull another plug close to it to compare if you want. May have good plug and failing wire. May have cap/rotor problem?

tahoe nick

Reaction score
Im sure it could use a complete tune up.what is MAF? And what kind of cleaner? Sorry about frustration caused by my unintelligence.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0108 Map Sensor High Input
P0161 O2 Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire

Map Sensor code: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0108
basically the PCM is picking up low vac either leak, bad sensor or exhaust restriction.

O2 code: This code refers to the heater circuit in the O2 sensor that monitors catalyst efficiency, and if it is flagging it is probably a bad 12v or ground to the heater circuit or the internal heater of the O2 itself, this would not nescessitate replacement of all 4 sensors....

Cyl 5 Miss code: Cyl 5 issues from fuel injector to ignition to compression.... Like Ron said check coloration, check spark, check compression.

MAF sensor is the big box inline with the intake duct that has the electrical box on top of it, it measures airflow into the engine for more accurate fueling calculations. Cleaning it is not a bad idea, but be darn careful as the sensor elements are quite fragile...