Have a weird stereo problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:help:

I have a 98 Tahoe with the factory cassette deck and Denali 6 disc cd changer. Tonight I took the wife out for some dinner and the stereo started shutting off and coming back on, the readout went black then it would light up. When it went off the music stopped but the buttons stayed lit up due to headlamps being on. I did some research and only thing I could fins was for 2007 and up Bose systems. Thinking my Denali cd changer may be messed up I disconnected it and same issue.

Any ideas where to start?

I am going to pull dash apart tomorrow after work and see if there is any lose connections, just seeing of there is anything else to try before making a trip to salvage yard for a new deck.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the deck, could be a bad ign switch.... Does the time reset? Should be 2 wires hot on the back red and yellow yellow will be memory wire constant 12v, red will be switched ignition, put a voltmeter on the red wire and on one of the large red wires in the big harness under the dash (red or red/ white stripe), and measure voltage drop with key in run position - should be 0vdc, slap around at the column and dash area see if it jumps...... then from radio red to ground repeat process, if all looks good there suspect the head unit.... The decks are very cheap....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty close to OK City..... get anywhere with your headunit?

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is Lester, I actually work in south okc as a computer tech.

I have not had a chance to look into issue yet my truck was broke into and the the thieves took my wallet which I accidentally left in that one night, some Masonic books, keys to my lodge, and some meaningless papers, will be looking into stereo on Saturday.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question about loosing the time, no it doesn't loose time, it blanks out then comes to, almost like a skipping cd.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are loosing the ignition feed to the radio circuits, now that could be an internal fault, wiring to radio, or ignition switch....

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got around to swapping out the stereo and still same problem
It seems to be working better but when I got home today and put the steering wheel in the up position the stereo cut off again. So... next item I guess would be the ignition switch that lester mentioned. But when I research the switch it shows me a long mess of wires and the tumbler with the new key. Which would I need to look into getting?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wires, switch and connector. Tumbler and keys are separate....

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is what I need?

Attachments

• $_3.jpeg
    $_3.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fraid that is what it seems like.......

It is hard to change? Or about like putting in a new turn signal switch? Any special programming or just remove old fish new wires in, hook up and ready to go? ( not near that easy may add a few bad words skinned knuckles etc.)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relatively easy to replace....... swap it out...

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a few diagrams and it looks to be pretty straight forward. Do I even need to pull the steering wheel or is it like the turn signal switch and can access it via removing the plastics off the column??

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to do a C/K, but on any other GM it is pretty straight forward... I have on a S/T truck and couple GM cars..... I see my last post didnt take, you might need to get the Passkey reprogrammed for the truck to start as IIRC the resistor chip is in the flat black spot on the 3 pin harness that goes to the top of the cylinder.....

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm Prolly not using the search function right but is there any write ups on how to do this job or has anyone done it on the tahoe that could explain what they had to do? How do I reprogram the passkey if needed?

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lester,

I have some new info...

The truck runs fine still no issues on the running part, the stereo when the vehicle is cold or hasn't been ran much the stereo is fine, even over bumps. Once you drive for 30 to 40 min it starts to cut on and off over bumps, while at night I can turn the lights off then back on again and the stereo comes on until the next bump. Do you still think this is the ignition switch? Just wanted to let you know the new info before I order the parts...