Headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the automatic headlights can be bypassed so they only come on when I want them to.
And if so, how it's done?

Thanks,
Jim

xsivforce

Reaction score
If you have the factory owners manual, it tells you in there. I know I have read it but don't have it in front of me and can't remember exactly. If you don't have the manual, I am sure someone here knows the procedure. Otherwise, I will check my manual when I have the chance.

xsivforce

Reaction score
I checked my manual. Now, I have to preface the following that mine is a 2002 but yours may work the same. I didn't realize this is not a permanent fix until I read it again.

When necessary, you may turn off the Automatic Headlamp System and Daytime Running Lamps feature by following these steps. When the system is turned off, the headlights will not automatically come on when it becomes dark outside.

1. Turn the ignition to RUN.

2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds. After the fourth press of the button, a chime will sound informing you the system is off. The system will revert back when the ignition is turned off and on again.

3. To return to the automatic mode, push the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds, or turn the ignition off and on again.

The following I have not tried and have no knowledge that they work:

Now, in looking around, I have seen some people say to just press your parking brake one click down and that will disable it because automatic headlights are off when the parking brake is depressed. I am not sure if it works or not.

Someone else said at the base of the parking brake, at the carpet, you'll find a green wire with connector on a 1/4 inch spade female connector, connected to a small blade switch. Disconnect this connector and ground the green wire. Your headlight switch will work normally. Normally when you depress the parking brake, this green wire gets shorted to ground. Just permanently ground this wire.

Another mentioned pulling the Daytime Running Lamps (DLR) fuse.

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xsivforce, Thanks for the info. on a 05 the DLR is a separate light, I don't know about 02's.
So would that just kill the DLR's and not the headlights?
I guess trial and error would work the best.
Thanks again.

xsivforce

Reaction score
I am unsure of the differences between the 02 and 05 as I am a new Yukon owner. In the 02 manual, the DLR and the Automatic Headlights are both controlled with the DOME OVERRIDE. Not sure on the 05. Worth a shot though. Someone on here with an 05 might have more info for you. If you do get it figured out, let us know.

812EnRoute

Reaction score
If you have the dome over ride button (next to the headlight turn knob) push it four times in the few seconds and it will chime and they will turn off until you manually turn the lights on with the switch, push the dome over ride four times in a few seconds and it beeps and the DRL turn back on and you have auto lights again. The DRL and Auto head lights will go back to auto every time the truck is turned off and restarted.
If you do not have the Dome over ride button look at the head light switch. Turning it clockwise you should have Auto (or off or when the truck dose not ding at you when the door is open and keys are out of the ignition), Parking, then Headlight. Each stopping on the different position and able to stay there. Then if you go counter clockwise it should feel like a momentary switch, you can turn it but it will put itself back to the Auto position. I think it is called DRL override or DRL Auto or something close.
Be careful if you do the parking brake one click idea. It will work but make sure it is only one click you don't want to push it down to far and burn up the parking brake.

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I was wondering if the light sensor on the dash could be bypassed so it would be a permanant thing.