Headlights on ALL the time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrlac

Reaction score
I have an '01 Tahoe LT. It was ordered well optioned-out and has some kind of automatic headlight system.

On most car you can override the auto system and turn off the headlights if you want to (my 04 Pacifica for example).

Does anyone know if this can be done on the Tahoe? Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out...:umn:

Thanks.
Warrlac

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Push the over ride button off on off on off on. This will defeat the auto headlamp. You will have to do that for each ignition cycle.

warrlac

Reaction score
That did it!

Thanks very much. Too bad there's no way to override for more than a single ignition cycle however. Needless to say, it does solve my problem/question.

This place is great!:yesnod:

Thanks!
Warrlac

Push the over ride button off on off on off on. This will defeat the auto headlamp. You will have to do that for each ignition cycle.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you start the car with the parking brake engaged the lights don't come on until you release the brake again.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Yea, but then you're driving around with the annoying brake light on on the IP. That is unless you tap it just the right spot to have the lights stay off as well as the dummy light on the IP

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, but then you're driving around with the annoying brake light on on the IP. That is unless you tap it just the right spot to have the lights stay off as well as the dummy light on the IP

So what you're after is driving with your lights off? Why would you wanna do that?!?

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what you're after is driving with your lights off? Why would you wanna do that?!?

mine tend to come on at random times when it isn't relly dark, like the car wash or in a garage for example, and not go off.

AND i like to drive with my parking lights on rather thatn my DRLs, especially around sunset, that's usually why i use my override.......

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine tend to come on at random times when it isn't relly dark, like the car wash or in a garage for example, and not go off.

AND i like to drive with my parking lights on rather thatn my DRLs, especially around sunset, that's usually why i use my override.......

You've probably got the lightsensor on top of the dash too. It will turn on the lights when it senses darkness below a set value.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have covered the sensor leaving the lights on at all times while driving. It's much safer since the car is much more vivible with the lights on than with the lights off, even in broad daylight. :)

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Police tahoe comes with the DRL and auto headlight function disabled. If I ever find out what GM did you guys will be the first to know. I will say when you use the keyless entry the DRL's do light up when dark and my instrument lights do turn on. So all the control circuits seem to be functioning properly. My good friend hasnt had the time to talk to GM to find out what I need to do to turn them on. The onwer manual states see the dealer to activate....

John

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IIRC the auto headlight function is through the factory radio. Key on engine off. Radio off too I believe, you press the program button and hold it til the menu appears. Then one of the other buttons, I believe sel, scrolls thru the menu.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sepiroth

In my case the radio does not control any of the BCM functions. I do not have DIC control through radio.

John

CHEVYMANE

Reaction score
Auto Headlights (not Drl's)

I searched & found a way online that sounds exactly like what i thought would work. I'll give it a try after this weekend. Don't wanna go "trying" stuff before this weekend road trip.

CHEVYMANE

Reaction score
Automatic Headlights... Not Anymore!!!

I did some searching & found the same question on another forum. I finally had time to try it out & it works. The headlights only come on when i turn the
switch, which makes it better since i have HID's & they're not too fond of the flicker from starting the engine. The resistors are only .99 cents for a pack of 5 & you only need one. Note: I work at a car dealer service shop & i personally did not unhook my battery nor unplug the connector. Your choice.

PROPS to Jaybo on gmfullsize.com. These are his directions. Worked for me. 2001 Tahoe LT Autoride

FOR '99-'02 TRUCKS ONLY w/o AUTO CLIMATE CONTROLS

Basically you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you can get at Radio Shack. Electrical tape and possibly some wire nuts will work to wire in the resistor. You can solder the wires if you wish.

You may want to remove the neg. battery cable to assure you don't do any unwanted damage to the electrical system. This is not necessary, but a good precaution to take.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway.

Clip these two wires that are coming off this plug (C3). Leave a few inches to work with. Tape up or place wire nuts over the other end of these wires that go up under the dash(they go to the light sensor). You have now removed the light sensor from the electrical system and is now just a dash ornament.

Connect the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3, going to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 to the other resistor lead. Plug in C3 to the BCM and replace the neg. battery cable if you removed it. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it!