Heater/ AC controls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pinkcookies26

Reaction score
Recently in my 2000 LT my heater would not change temps or let me control the force of air from high to low but I could switch from defrost to panel to floor. I was on the hwy and it would only blow hot and on high, so once I could no longer stand this I pulled over, pulled off the dash trim and unplugged the control module, plugged it back in and got the same results. So, I drove a little longer, pulled over, unplugged again but switched temp and level to low and plugged back in, then I got cold air that would not switch to warmer and still high pressure. It seems when this happens I have to unplug the control module and set it then plug it back in, does this make sense? Is the problem in the control module? Any info is appreciated.

pinkcookies26

Reaction score
Been doing some reading...if my in car temp sensor is bad would that have anything to do with this at all? It's the one right above the driver's head and it buzzes and rattles constantly.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres what I found:

Loss of HVAC System Mode and/or Temperature Control (Reroute Wiring Harness) #01-01-39-007 - (Dec 20, 2001)
Loss Of HVAC System Mode and/or Temperature Control (Reroute Wiring Harness)
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility Models (Avalanche, Surburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali)

2001 GMC Sierra C3

2002 GMC Sierra Denali

2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

Condition
Some customers may comment that they cannot control the HVAC system modes and/or the temperature. These concerns may be intermittent.

Cause
There may be poor terminal contact and/or bent terminals in connectors C206 (RPO C68 automatic HVAC controls) or C296 (RPO C60 manual HVAC controls). Excessive tension on the wires due to the wiring harness being misrouted in the instrument panel carrier may cause these conditions.

Correction
Remove the Air Bag fuse.
Disconnect the steering wheel and instrument panel (IP) air bag connectors. Refer to the SIR subsection of the Restraints section of the Service Manual for connector locations.
Remove the IP upper trim pad.
Locate connector C206 (6 cavities) or C296 (8 cavities). The connector is attached to a metal brace on the far right side of the IP carrier above the IP air distributor duct.
Inspect the routing of the wiring harness to the connector. The proper routing of the wiring harness is above the air distributor duct with no tension on the terminals in the connector. The routing is improper if the wiring harness is below the air distributor duct with excessive tension on the terminals in the connector. The excessive tension may cause poor terminal contact, resulting in open circuits, in the connector. The wires may also pull the terminals out of the connector or pull out of the terminal itself.
If the harness is routed properly, contact Technical Assistance for further information.
If the harness is misrouted, remove the connector from the brace.
Disconnect the connector.
Perform a pin drag test on the female terminals.
Inspect the male terminals for straightness.
Inspect the wire to terminal connection to insure that no wires have pulled out of the terminals.
Reroute the wiring harness above the air distributor duct.
Firmly reconnect and reseat the connector.
Reattach the connector to the metal brace.
Reinstall the IP upper trim pad.
Turn Off the ignition and reconnect the steering wheel and IP air bags.
Reinstall the Air Bag fuse.
Turn ON the ignition and verify that the air bag light flashes seven times and goes out.
Clear any diagnostic trouble codes that may have been set.
Verify proper operation of the HVAC system mode and temperature controls.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C2362
Panel, Instrument Panel Upper, Remove and Replace
0.7 hr

Add
To Repair and/or Reposition Connector and Harness
0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 845221
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Tahoe - 4WD

clkelley

Reaction score
I agree, you need to double check your wiring harness connector there at the plug, but you also need to "listen" when changing either your temp or from dash to foot, etc. IT could also be a mode actuator that isn't changing over. This is fairly common as well.