help! new gears and locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
specs: 96 2 door with 6" lift kit. 35x12.50 (actually like 34.5") M/T's. its the daily driver so it see's much more pavement then mud. so gas milage is def. a factor.

What I need to know for this saturday at the 4 Wheel Jamboree Nationals:

Good locker thats not a hell of alot of money? detroit truetrac? eaton?

and 4.56 or 4.88 gears to replace the stockers?

Still haven't decided if i'm going to have them installed by a local shop or buy the tols and do it myself. so any other install info you guys have floating around would also be helpful.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet deal bro. ill see you at the fairgrounds. saturday night 4wheelparts in indy is having a huge bash. open till midnight and bigg deals. hoping to get lift, tire/rims and maybe some headers. hey procomp by the way, did you lift kit from procomp come with idler arms and pittman arms? the one i looked at did...just curious

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no mine didn't come with the idler or pittman arms, they may have updated the kit since i've gotten mine.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have always used eaton lockers there good never had a problem i justput and eaton with 373's just remember that if u change the rear gears u also HAVE TO CHANGE THE FRONT as well or when ur in 4x4 with non matching gears i will break things a quick.... fyi good luck doin it ur self mite take u a day or 2 if u have never done it befor, and its about 1100 to get the rear done. drop off pick up in one day.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the pro comp kits come with pitman or idler arms, those are factory parts which usually have play in them and should be replaced when you do the lift but a few companies make reinforcement kits that are a damn good idea for front end longevity. A few corporate people I know are going to be there, if you're serious pm me and I can tell you who to talk to out there for a better deal. Eaton makes the detroit lockers and limited slips but there are a few differences in the type of traction differentials. DON'T BUY GENUINE GEAR RING AND PINIONS FOR ANY 10 BOLT! Sorry I've just had issues with them and hate to see someone suffer through the gear noise because they wanted to save $30.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have always used Eaton lockers there good never had a problem i just put and Eaton with 3.73's just remember that if u change the rear gears u also HAVE TO CHANGE THE FRONT as well or when your in 4x4 with non matching gears i will break things a quick.... FYI good luck doing it your self mite take u a day or 2 if u have never done it before, and its about 1100 to get the rear done. drop off pick up in one day.
FYI, I'm not a freaking idiot. :fu:

now back to business. its getting 4.88's put in place of the 3.73's. and a detroit locker in place of the factory Posi. install will depend on what kind of deals they are offering. i have another ride to drive whenever if i end up doing it. i expected it to take a couple days, maybe a few once dumped on top of my rediculous work schedule.

have to put it in here. found out my 'hoe is a Z71 while searching for the stock gears in the RPO codes. :cheers:

Boost- you have a PM inbound

Last edited:

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run across a good deal on a Detroit Truetrac, I would go in that direction. They are far superior to the Eaton's and less likely to have problems. :yesnod:

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the pro comp kits come with pitman or idler arms, those are factory parts which usually have play in them and should be replaced when you do the lift but a few companies make reinforcement kits that are a damn good idea for front end longevity. A few corporate people I know are going to be there, if you're serious pm me and I can tell you who to talk to out there for a better deal. Eaton makes the detroit lockers and limited slips but there are a few differences in the type of traction differentials. DON'T BUY GENUINE GEAR RING AND PINIONS FOR ANY 10 BOLT! Sorry I've just had issues with them and hate to see someone suffer through the gear noise because they wanted to save $30.

Yo boost...tried pm you but no luck. pm me and tell me who I need to talk to this weekand. o yea. I talked to 4wheelparts and the new procomp kits DO come with new pittman and idler arms.. :yesnod:

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I'm not a freaking idiot. :fu:

i was just stating what i know about differentials and gearing, i wasn't trying to make u look like a idiot... Btw but god luck, hopefully whatever decision u choose works out for the best..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was mainly geared toward the "you can't just change one" crack.

so anyone running an E-Locker? sounds like the best for what i want to do. prices will dictate weather or not the E-locker finds a new home in the rear end or not... if not detroit trutrack it is!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never installed any pro comp pitman and idler arm kit, perhaps the centerlink? Regardless I'd only use a cognito pitman and idler brace kit, they're way burlier than anyone elses I'd also look at gusseting the idler bracket and bracing the steering box. These guys make some ill sh*t for ifs chevys
http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page29.html