Hey Fellow Hoe Lovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony7781

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I just picked up a 2003 Tahoe Z71 with 85k. She came with K&N intakeand flowmasters. I am doing some basic maintenance, oil, plugs/wires and coils. Once thats done I am thinking of putting an electric fan in it and getting a BB tune. I couldnt find any AC iridium plugs that fit my truck so I am going to go with the NGK Iridium IX. As for the coils and plugs, I need to look in my engine to see if I have the square or round ones right?

Joe Marcinski

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Not sure what part of the country you are from, but if you are subject to ice, snow and perhaps some salt you might want to inspect the steel brake lines. Take a look (probably with a mirror and bright light) at the point where the lines come into a feed block on the frame just under the driver's feet. I lost the brakes on my 2003 last month due to corrosion. That area seems to trap moisture and any other corrosive element that might be flying around. The shop that does the work I don't want to tells me that is pretty common, at least in the Northeast.

When changing your spark plugs be sure to wear some gloves when you get the two rearmost plugs on the passenger side of the engine. There is a drip tray underneath the AC unit there with very, very sharp edges. There is very little room for your hand. Have not had a more challenging plug to change since I sold my Sunbeam Tiger about 40 years ago!

Good luck with your truck.

Joe M.

Tony7781

Reaction score
Hi Joe-

Thanks alot for your response! I live in Staten Island, NY. Its funny you mention that as that was my first question to the guy I bought it from and apparently he had to just change the steel lines last year as they were corroded like you said. I havent gone under to check them out myself (the weather hasn't been in my favor), but hopefully this weekend I can get under there to take a look. My dad told me that back in the day alot of people would hit the whole undercarriage with undercoat to try and avoid the corrosion and rust from the salt, snow and water. Is this something you think would be beneficial to do?

Thanks again and Im happy to be a Tahoe owner! I always LOVED these trucks.

Joe Marcinski

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I guess the undercoating question depends upon how long you plan on keeping the truck. The lines that failed were the factory originals and they lasted 10 years. The weather here in Virginia hasn't been much better (and I have three Formula Fords in my garage) so I have not yet gotten under the truck to see how it looks yet. I was thinking that perhaps a well considered/placed drain hole would be a really good solution. But, I will wait to see what might prevent me from doing that (when it gets a little warmer and drier outside).

I do really like the truck; if I could just figure out that d..m "Service Brake Booster" light!

Best regards,

Joe M.

Jacknelson

Reaction score

Just purchased a 2002 White Tahoe LT 2WD. Thought 43000K was pretty low miles and it came from Oklahoma so probably not too much snow and salt. I have had a few GM trucks, a 99 Suburban, a conversion van with the old 6.2 diesel, and a K1500 pick-up. Currently driving a 2011 GMC 2500HD/Duramax that I'm going to sell.
So far I've picked-up that I have to check the brake lines for corrosion. It is 12 yrs. old so what else should I check and/or replace? Bought it right for 7500. so I'm willing to do what is essential to bring it up to speed and then keep it on a tight maintenance schedule. Probably will start using synthetic oil.
Thanks to all of you for any response. Be well.

Joe Marcinski

Reaction score
Hi Jack,

I am a less than a week newbie so I feel a little strange saying welcome, but welcome! I would suggest taking a look the steel brake lines in the area just beneath the drivers feet just in case. When I got my 2003 it had an ungodly squeal and chatter from the rear brakes. When I took them off I found that they were wearing in a very small band only about 1" wide in the center of the pads & disc. The rear rotors were horribly grooved in the center. So, I got some new rotors from Tire Rack and put on some Hawk HPS brake pads. I did all four wheels while I was at it. The truck stops great and there is no brake squeal.

Mine is a 2003 LT 2WD. The tie rod ends were pretty badly worn (it had 62K miles at that time) and so we replaced those and aligned it. It now has 122K and the steering is still really tight with no wandering.

As I said, I really like the truck. If it had 100 more HP and no "Service Brake Booster" light I would love it!

Good luck with your truck.

Joe M.

Jacknelson

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks Joe, quick response. Will pick the truck up next week and keep you posted.

Choozo

Reaction score
Had to replace _all_ of the steel brake lines on my 2001 Tahoe over the last 2 years, and it's close to a 2-day job by professionals.
Not a cheap job either, here in Norway .....