Hi and Low beams at same time modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to do this mod for our 94-99 hoes??

i have seen it several times where the drl (daytime running lights) stay on when u flick on yer hi beams. i want to do this b/c my stock bulbs and clouded lenses are very unsafe at night. they say to hook a diode into the fuse box under the hood somewhere, but if u do it backwards it fries yer whole system. i saw one guy said: "Cathode pointing towards the light and anode towards the power" i assume the diode has 2 wires coming out or 2 ends at least. so u gotta hook it up in the right direction obviously.

i assume u just connect 2 points on the fuse box, but i am dumb! i need mega close-up pictures with big red arrows and overly explained, repetetive directions. plz help!

i really need step by step unplug this, hook this to that, DON'T do this, etc...

all i can find is a write up for is for 02 and up here:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=54

i see the kit on jcwhitney here: (part #SK811821P)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=SK811821P

i would like to not spend $23 + shipping if at all possible, and i like to do things myself. plus i want it done now! don't wanna wait for shipping!!

and here is another discussion of the same thing:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?act=Print&client=html&f=9&t=193

any help would be most greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this mod on my Tahoe a couple of months ago. It was not hard, but it did require splicing into my headlight harness. I had to remove the grille to do it, but I already had it off because I also installed a tranny cooler.

I spent about $25 on this after it was all said and done. It required buying a relay, in-line fuse holder, crimp on wire splicers, female spade terminals, and wire. The first relay I bought did not have a mounting tab, so I bought one that did. That's why I spent a little more than expected.

I will try to find the write-up I used. It tells you what color the wires are that you need to splice into, and is very helpful. I don't remember the details of how I did it at the moment. If I find the write-up I'll post a link to it.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy kits for this on eBay. Less than $20 and all the parts are there. I put one on my Suburban. Only have to remove one parking light and put terminals on existing wires, then connect one long wire to power source. Easy mod.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great info guys!

i haven't done it yet but i did read all this stuff.

i saw someone ask on one of those forums how u can have HI, LOW, and BOTH by doing this mod. if my electrical knowledge serves me. a simple on/off switch in line between the high beams power wire and the pole it is connected to on the relay should allow u to switch from mod to stock via a dash mounted switch. when the switch is on the relay mod will function as normal low beams and low beams + high beams when switched to high beams. if u turn the switch off, then you would be back to stock. maybe vice versa, maybe not. i'm definitely no electrician

MarioAngeloBurke

Reaction score
great info guys!

i haven't done it yet but i did read all this stuff.

i saw someone ask on one of those forums how u can have HI, LOW, and BOTH by doing this mod. if my electrical knowledge serves me. a simple on/off switch in line between the high beams power wire and the pole it is connected to on the relay should allow u to switch from mod to stock via a dash mounted switch. when the switch is on the relay mod will function as normal low beams and low beams + high beams when switched to high beams. if u turn the switch off, then you would be back to stock. maybe vice versa, maybe not. i'm definitely no electrician

The modification is not really difficult. I don't think its too bad hard to understand either. REALLY simply when you are flippin the high beam switch the relay is taking the batter lead and splitting it between the two beams. You notice it more on the HID the low beam flickers for a split second as the relay is clicking. I'd could draw up a diagram if anyone needs.