How Do You Keep Your (Black) Vehicle Looking Good Between Washes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billp

Reaction score
Am interested in what you all do to keep your vehicles looking good between washes, particularly if you have a black vehicle.

Any tips for keeping that well detailed look between washes without too much fuss?

Thanks!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep it parked in the garage, and use a California Duster (super size one). Maybe put a little Meguiar's Hot Shine on the tires and shine the rims too; even if the truck isn't 100% clean, that seems to makes it look better.

Use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray over the entire vehicle after washing, and dust particles just glide right off after a drive, using that Cali Duster...

Lots more info in the detailing section, I think.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Like Getwired, I dust off the truck then use Meguire's Quick Detailer spray in between washes.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much time do you usually have between washes?

I'm paranoid about using the California Duster on the paint. I would just wash it once a week and if the weather's good in between that time, then the car never looks too bad during the week. If it gets bird droppings on it, I use some Quick Detailer and then wash it. Using Eagle One Wax As You Dry each time really helps keep it looking good, too.

But after owning two black vehicles, I decided to get a different colour this time :D.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the only two methods I know, the duster (get the right one, no knock offs) and the Quick Detail with a microfiber towel. Either one should probably be used no less than once every couple days.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I do it:
1. Don't touch the car between washes because of fingerprints that come back when the car is dirty, the ways I do it is close the door from the exterior by pushing on the handles or pulling of the interior handles from outside and pulling your arm out quickly.

2. Don't clean parts of the car when its dusty, if your not cleaning the whole thing then just don't touch it because doing that will casue uneven dirt all over the surface which makes it look worst.

3. Avoid sprinklers and unnecessary water in the road as much as possible.

4.Get Splash Guards, they help alot on our black cars.

And most of the other common ones likeparking in a garage etc.

Diesel

Reaction score
I wax my truck every other wash. I wipe down (with a damp almost dry microfiber towel) every day or two. It only takes about 10 min to wipe down if you keep truck waxed. I don't like any of the dusters because they drag dry dust particles across the paint which over time can cause fine scratches which can be seen very well on blk cars. If car is a little dustier than normal I'll wipe down with the microfiber towel and then use a quick detail spray. One trick that I do with my towels is after I wash them, I put a couple of them in seperate grocery bags & tie them up and that will keep them slightly moist for several days. I always have one in the back of my truck for quick wipe downs for bird droppings, water spots or fingerprints that are left when people get in & out of the truck.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hand wash mine weekly and park it in the garage when home. That's about as much as I can do.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this site. I use the Spray body shine , buy it by the gallon. Between washes its great........I'm sure on a dark colored vehicle results will be much better than what I'm seeing.
http://www.jaxwax.com/

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time think about buying a lighter color car. I own a white suburban and only wash her once every three weeks. OK let me stop rubbing it in...

suburban002.jpg

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could say the same about my White Tahoe. If your washing every 3 weeks then I need to move to your State.....!

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have said how many miles I drive in three weeks, only about 400, I guess if I were to drive more then I would need to wash it more. But still no where as near as many times as a black one.

CaliChevyV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my California duster for a few weeks, they said it would leave streaks the first 2-3 times, I've used it about 5 times and it's still streakin. To you guys that use these, it does get better right? Just needs time to get the waxy stuff all dusted up inside it? And will it scratch the car up?

Seems to me that a light drag with this cali duster would be less likely to scratch than using a rag and rubbing all that dust in, micro fiber or not. Could be wrong though.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wash my Kon once a week, weather permitting. While I agree that white hides dirt well, that's all it's doing is hiding it. It's no less dirty because of the color. I had a white truck and became complacent with the color, but I did notice the paint was not a vibrant as all the other car colors I have had. Black is a commitment and for me, so worth it. Anyway, I don't attempt to do much between washes other than use the dust mop. Even then, I may use it once between at the most. I do use the quick detailer after the wash and this seems to allow the dust to whisk away while driving. I have a major waxing a coming, just waiting for the Vegas weather to cool off some. I'm thinking of Zaino this time. :mpr:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my California duster for a few weeks, they said it would leave streaks the first 2-3 times, I've used it about 5 times and it's still streakin. To you guys that use these, it does get better right? Just needs time to get the waxy stuff all dusted up inside it? And will it scratch the car up?

Seems to me that a light drag with this cali duster would be less likely to scratch than using a rag and rubbing all that dust in, micro fiber or not. Could be wrong though.

Mine streaked until the first time I washed it. I don't have the instructions on how to wash it in front of me, but check it out and give that a go. Mine no longer streaks. I have an old one that I have been using on a black 89 Mustang as well and it works as good as the day I bought it.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I notice any streaking with my California Car Duster is when there's overspray from some other product already on my vehicle. If you need to wash the duster itself, you just wash it by hand in COLD water, using Woolite or some other super mild detergent, then let it air dry. Supposed to work better the dirtier it gets (though that seems counter-intuitive to me). I've never washed my duster, and it works great, no streaks (again, unless I've accidentally oversprayed the Meguiar's Hot Shine or something)...

Later!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine quit streaking after I left it out of the bag for a week or so. Guess it let the oil evaporate.

Remember as someone here said previously, keeping a black truck clean is not a chore, it's a career.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember as someone here said previously, keeping a black truck clean is not a chore, it's a career.

I prefer to consider it a sultry affair. Lots of gentle rubbing and buffing, but when out it public you don't touch, only look and admire. :cool2:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think you're supposed to wash it or something like that to treat it, it removes the excess wax from the fibers. Not sure exactly what you're supposed to do.

As far as the microfiber, yeah it can mar the paint but you want to only do that when there is very light dirt, and the Quick Detail spray should suspend the dirt within it, and then don't really use pressure when wiping. And turn it often. Especially good if you have a good coat of wax.