How Many Miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
Just Curious. What is your mileage on your truck (s) right now? What do you expect out of it (mileage wise) ?? We all know the 1st gen tahoes/ suburbans all went well over 150,000 some to 200,000 on original engine and tranny. I have yet to see the majority of the 2nd gen get to that milestone.

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
Right now i'm at 76,000 and haven't had any major problems so far (knock on wood) I'm hoping to ride it out as long as I can. I'm not sure if the trannys would make it because I have not seen any make it over 150,000 yet.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just at 35k on my 2004 because I've always used it as a second car, we use it to tow and when we're in Atlanta since it stays there. But, we put 112k on a 2003 Z71. We never had any trouble to speak of with it, a couple little transfer case issues towards the end at of course the ISS and instrument cluster. I loved that thing but my wife and I have to drive from Clearwater to Atlanta at least twice a week and I worried about her to have her driving that far in a truck with that many miles on it so we traded it for an '08 in January.

As far as 150-200k, I don't think these are going to hold up like the first generation after 100k. The Z71 still drove out fine but it had some quirks, it was beginning to shift into second a little rough and it just got to where I didn't trust it like I once did. I don't think that tranny had more than 10k miles left in it and it had been flushed every 35k miles and driven easy. I never towed with it and 95% of the miles were on the interstate.

Time will tell but I have a strong feeling that the first generations are going to outlive the newer ones as far as miles are concerned.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine currently has 128k and still runs like a champ, getting some ticks and creaks from the truck that are starting to worry me, but overall I am still pretty confident driving it anywhere.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to replace the steering but I have a few customers with over 100k on their trucks and no issue. I'm at 85k with no play in any of the steering, plan on building some sleeved tie rods and installing the cognito pitman/idler arm reinforcements.

YUKON JACK

Reaction score
I'm at 81K, brought it with 43K already on it. Two things have left me stranded, fuel pump went out and the battery died. I drove my car until 135K and I plan on getting to this in the GMC.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
I had a 93' suburban, got rid of it last summer with 173,000 miles on it. NO DRIVETRAIN issues. But had to replace the radiator 4 times the water pump twice, front bearings, tires, but other than that it served me well.

On my 00' Tahoe, I have 99k. I have a few minor complaints though. I replaced the 2 front wheel bearings, flushed out trans, drive train and engine and installed AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants (I AM A DEALER)
The drive train makes a bit too much noise ( I think) but I live with it. My rear differential is always leaking. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the gasket but it still leaks. I somtimes hear a loud chattering sound coming from either the t-case or the trans then it kicks back into gear, this only happens once in a blue moon. Dont get me wrong I LOVE THE TRUCK, and I will most likely buy a used 06' in a couple years. I hope to get to 200k with the original drive train, but it is a long shot. Oh yea, the PARKING BRAKE SUCKS on the 00-06 tahoes and suburbans!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should seal that 10bolt yourself, I use permatex "the right stuff" on all my gear installs and have yet to see one leak
115QW607PVL._AA160_.jpg

Z71Heat

Reaction score
In my service manual it says to NOT USE any type of rtv sealent, just the gasket. I guess because if some of the goo gets into the diff case it could cause problems or contamination of the lubricant.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
In my service manual it says to NOT USE any type of rtv sealent, just the gasket. I guess because if some of the goo gets into the diff case it could cause problems or contamination of the lubricant.
I took the cover off myself, reinstalled. It still leaked. Took it to the dealer, repaired it.....still leaks. I am thinking the cover is bent or warped.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to buy a mag hytec cover then but why would the sealant get into the housing? All my installers and most of the gm techs I know use the same stuff, I'd rather go against the retards that wrote the manual and have a properly sealed axle :ack:

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you tightening the bolt pattern, Are you going criss cross or just around the punkin. Also are all the bolt holes clear of debris where the bolt is actually serving purpose. If you think it maybe warped get some prussion blue, and with an acid brush put a thin coat on the face of the punkin, make sure the face is free and clean of oil. Then mount the cover on the punkin without the gasket, tight all your bolts. The remove the cover and inspect the flange face of the cover. The prusion blue should reveal any high spots, indicating whether or not and where the cover may be warped, dented or dinged.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to buy a mag hytec cover then but why would the sealant get into the housing? All my installers and most of the gm techs I know use the same stuff, I'd rather go against the retards that wrote the manual and have a properly sealed axle :ack:

X2 ....Since also stated in the service manual

"leaks such as axle tube to differential carrier housing or porosity leaks require the replacement of the rear axle housing"

On a side note I had to re-read this thread twice cause I was wondering how the hell we went from Mileage to axle leaks:lol: :lol: :lol:

03Z71PBJ

Reaction score
I am on my second Z71 now I had an 01 Suburban Z71 that went over 220k before selling it The only thing I ever had to doi to the Suburban was change the steering it got real loose after about 150k other than that it was the best vehicle ever!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Curious. What is your mileage on your truck (s) right now? What do you expect out of it (mileage wise) ?? We all know the 1st gen tahoes/ suburbans all went well over 150,000 some to 200,000 on original engine and tranny. I have yet to see the majority of the 2nd gen get to that milestone.

Hell, my father in law has over 150K on his 02 Suburban, and it still runs great AFAIK. I'll see if I can get an odometer pic for you if you want. He drives that thing all over the place for business. He's spent a little money here and there on it, but the thing is great. We load the family up in his Suburban and my Yuke every year to travel to california. Never once had an issues. But then again, we take awesome care of our vehicles...but thats not to say that the rest of you guys don't do the same. :)

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 Kon has 53,XXX on it right now. Its running good, no problems yet. Just keeping up on the maintenance and taking care of it. My 94 kon has about 206,XXX on it. Its on its last leg but it can still hang w/ the crowd.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
67k miles here and driving like it did new. My friend has an '01 Suburban with 170k and its still purring along.

asmith001

Reaction score
232K on my 2001 Yukon SLT. Just bough it a few months ago, it's in very good condition inside and out, and seems to be running great, too. It's not perfect, but it sure does drive/run good when it's paid for!