how to clean headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridingagain

Reaction score
The lenses on my lights look cloudy (particurly DRL). Ive noticed it on other yukons as well so I don't think its abnormal, just a cloudiness that forms over time ('02). Is there a trick to cleaning them to remove the cloudiness? Not sure if its a film created on the outside or if its on the inside.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy special stuff to clean them with or use toothpaste with a soft cloth. Usually the film is on the outside.

rmorgan

Reaction score
I tried several products and Meguiar's PlastX worked the best. It's specifically designed to remove oxidation and yellowing from plastics. I used it on the fogged-over headlights of a 1988 F-250 I just bought and it made them look nearly new. It's great stuff! You can find it a most auto parts stores. I live in So Cal and got it at Kragen. Comes in a white plastic bottle, about $7.00.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it on my 03 hoe but I've wet-sanded other headlights to remove haze and discoloration. Just remember to wax them after the fact.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wal-Mart sells a headlight oxidation fix kit. It comes in a foil looking bag and all it has is 1500 grit sand paper and 2000 grit sand paper. then 2 types of a sealer substance(looks like automotive clear coat) did it on the moms old lexus and the lights are still shining brghtly.