How to do the 4 or 6 high mod on an 03-06 full size truck for $3.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang I wonder what the heck I did wrong. Well Im out to go try it. Thanks alot LOL.

it was a chore trying it out though, lol, i first set it up to i think upper left socket of the DRL relay to the same socket of the high beam relay that the fogs and lows go to. I switched the high beams on and nothing worked, its like my truck went back to stock, i thought i broke it, then i checked and all the diodes going to my high beam relay were loose. so i fixed it and tried again, but with the DRL diode going in, i switched the high beams on, and everything shut off, not a single light came on, crapppp. then i went back and took out the diode of the DRL relay and tried the 85 socket, lower right socket, i think, and tried again and it worked perfectly, all 8 lights come on, it looks awesome

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this can't be good, my right DRL just went out. Hopefully it was just time to die and not because of my mod

vwb5t

Reaction score
I did this mod a few days ago, but i soldered wires onto the diodes and used heat shrink tubing over the diode to give me a little more wire to play with, and was able to get the wire into the relay hole and still put the relay in for a better connection, my only issue is when i have the fogs on and turn on the highbeams everything is fine, but when i turn off the highbeams the fogs flicker off and on quickly, not really a bad thing only my fogs are HID's so the flickering is not good for them, anyone else have this problem? the low beams dont flicker at all when i turn off the high beams.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this mod a few days ago, but i soldered wires onto the diodes and used heat shrink tubing over the diode to give me a little more wire to play with, and was able to get the wire into the relay hole and still put the relay in for a better connection, my only issue is when i have the fogs on and turn on the highbeams everything is fine, but when i turn off the highbeams the fogs flicker off and on quickly, not really a bad thing only my fogs are HID's so the flickering is not good for them, anyone else have this problem? the low beams dont flicker at all when i turn off the high beams.

I have this on my silverado. But my yukon never did it. When I put HIDS in I got a wiring harness and that has stopped them. The reason the flicker is because it takes a split second for the switch you created with the diode to turn off and then your stock switch to realise its time to come back on. If that sounds right. But the wiring harness has stopped this on my silverado.

vwb5t

Reaction score
I am using a relay harness with my HID's, can i move the wire to the low beam relay? would that stop the switch back and forth because the lows are on all the time and don't flicker?

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to do this to my 2004 silverado without fog lights. i just want the highs to come on with the lows. nothing more.

the 1st 2 pics are completely useless and might as well be red Xs, the 3rd pic is nice and clear but not helpful.

some1 please post a pic of which relay to remove and what needs to be connected to what by the diode. thank you in advance!

edit:
First remove the LOWBEAM relay. This may need plyers, I damaged mine but they still work fine (knock on wood). Put it in the RIGHT REAR socket , it wont fit in, just make sure the metel on the diode is touching the metel on the relay. Keep the grey band pointed towards the highbeam headlamp or yourhighs will be on when ever your low beams are on, if you find this, just simply reverce the diode.... sorry my first 2 pics are bad, the rest are much clearer, but you get the idea

so are u saying hook the diode to the right rear pin on the lowbeam relay or are u saying unplug the lowbeam relay and plug it into somewhere else?

THen put the lowbeam relay back on. were done with this one enless you did not make sure metel was touching metel here. KEEP IN MINE THE DIODE METEL SHOULD ONLY TOUCH THE RIGHT REAR CORNER DIODE PEG!!! OR NOM 85 ON YOUR FUSE BOX MAP!!!

Then pull out your highbeam relay. an repeat the above step... IF you only want the 4 high mod. Just put the relay back. The DIODE end must be in the RIGHT REAR of the highbeam relay as well.

this makes about as much sense as trying to marry a whore. i think some1 slept through english class after about 3rd grade...

Last edited:

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want the higs to turn on with the lows?!? Is this even remotely legal?!? You will not be able to turn off the highs without going total dark.

The easy way is to use a diode between the wires by the bulb. This will lead current from the lows to the highs.

The NRA is a fine organisation. The USA really need more gun-crazed maniacs running around shooting people at random. :D

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to do this to my 2004 silverado without fog lights. i just want the highs to come on with the lows. nothing more.

the 1st 2 pics are completely useless and might as well be red Xs, the 3rd pic is nice and clear but not helpful.

some1 please post a pic of which relay to remove and what needs to be connected to what by the diode. thank you in advance!

edit:

this makes about as much sense as trying to marry a whore. i think some1 slept through english class after about 3rd grade...

First of all, its written just fine. You just dont understand it well. Someone slept through their mamma lesson on manners. also to answer your question. Not it says below put the relay back in. Just make sure the peg is touching the medel on the diode.

Why would you want the higs to turn on with the lows?!? Is this even remotely legal?!? You will not be able to turn off the highs without going total dark.

The easy way is to use a diode between the wires by the bulb. This will lead current from the lows to the highs.

The NRA is a fine organisation. The USA really need more gun-crazed maniacs running around shooting people at random. :D

Where did you read this. i said you dont want this, and if your finding this reverse the diode to correct it. :thumbsup:

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, its written just fine. You just dont understand it well. Someone slept through their mamma lesson on manners. also to answer your question. Not it says below put the relay back in. Just make sure the peg is touching the medel on the diode.

Where did you read this. i said you dont want this, and if your finding this reverse the diode to correct it. :thumbsup:

jwpotts0413 wrote this. He want the highs to come on with the lows. I think it's a bad idea but I don't judge. :)

I've got constant lows with the ability to turns the highs on and off as needed. :)

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwpotts0413 wrote this. He want the highs to come on with the lows. I think it's a bad idea but I don't judge. :)

I've got constant lows with the ability to turns the highs on and off as needed. :)

Either that or he's dyslexic and meant to say he wants the lows to stay on with the highs. Constant high beams will get you constant tickets not to mention raise your a**hole quotient, why would anyone set themselves up for that?

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting funny

When I read the instructions the first time, I had to really go through it to make sure I understood what I was doing, but as soon as I opened the fuse box and started messing with the relays it all made sense, so basically just print the instructions, go to your car and start working, you'll figure it out

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found the thread.... where do you buy diodes? i think thats the name of those things that we are seeing in the pictures.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im on radio shack website- is there a certain type of diode we should get?

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the link doesnt work, its a 3 amp barrel diode that works for 12v

danimalmax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, since im here, can anyone direct me to instructions on how to do the 4 or 6 high mod for a 2002 z71 tahoe?