How to make 2500 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a LT Tahoe with the tow package (if it matters) that i use to tow my boat (8000lbs). The ride is horrible with the trailer on and off. I brought it to STS to get new coils and shocks. I wanted to beef up the rear with the Rancho 9000s and maybe put them up front too. The truck doesnt even sit level now. They called me up and said there is nothing wrong with it. They said that i have they most heavy duty shocks out there and the ranchos would be a step down? If i got new coils also it would ride really rough. They also didnt recommend bags or spacers to solve my leveling problem. They said to move up to a DMax (i agreed) but my dad wants to get the most out of this truck. Anybody got any ideas on how to make this Tahoe a "2500"? Also, how do i stop the body roll? Every time i go in my friends 2500HD is doesnt even move from side to side.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that your load is a bit much for the Tahoe. Everything will be strained to the max and is unsafe. However, that not what you asked for.

You didn't mention what you meant by "horrible". Bouncy? Mushy?

ANY new parts on an old suspension is going to give a firmer ride. You can't have a Caddy ride and still safely tow/haul high loads. A good compromise is on-demand suspension components like air bags to boost capacity when you need it and allow you to relax things a bit when just tooling around.

Body roll can be improved with heavy anti-sway bars in the front and back. Use Poly bushings to make the system even stiffer. The ride will suffer a bit because a bump on one side of the truck will be transmitted to the other through the bars. The wheels will not absorb the bump itself as they will be held tighter to the frame.

Heavy shocks and springs also affect roll as the suspension will be stiffer overall. New springs to replace old saggy ones is fine. A longer spring of the same coil diameter (new springs compared to old) will give you more height with about the same ride. A HEAVIER spring will give more height AND a harsher ride and the suspension will compress less loaded and unloaded. A rigid coil spacer of the kind that goes above or below the spring changes the truck height only. A rubber coil spacer will act as a mini spring by compressing a bit with bumps but can also contributed to the dribble effect as it will compress at a different rate than the spring. This bit is hard to explain.. Say we hit a bump and the coil spring smoothly compresses and relaxes 2 inches. The rubber spacer, being smaller and stiffer, added to the mix will compress and rebound many times (and many times faster) as the spring is still compressing setting up a shock wave that vibrates through the spring like a tuning fork. Since these vibes are so short, the shocks won't damp them out. Just something to be aware of.

Shocks are just motion dampers. A lighter shock will ride a bit smoother because it allows the spring to flex and the wheel to move to absorb bumps. If the shock is TOO light, the wheels will dribble like a basketball and the tire will spend more time in the air than on the ground leading to bad tire wear and loss of traction. If they are too heavy, they won't allow the springs to do their job of smoothing the ride.

All this just leads to the point that setting up a good suspension is complex and more than bolting on the latest shock fad.

Set up your unloaded suspension as firm (I am assuming you have mushiness) as you want to go for daily driving and add adjustable air bags to stiffen things up only when you need it. Use a weight distributing hitch package and make sure the tongue weight is set properly.

The Tahoe has such a short wheelbase that even the spacing of the concrete slabs on a freeway can set up a harmonic while towing that will make the truck do the bunny hop going down the road. Had I considered that when truck shopping I would have gotten something longer to pull my boat. Bunny hopping is not fun.

I am sorry I can't provide more help without experiencing your setup but I hope you can use some of this to get a better result.

Ed

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks, Come over to Tahoeyukonforum.com. Tons of people, we could use a guy like you over there. This place is dead.

91RS

Reaction score
Buy an H2. That's a 2500 Tahoe in every sense