Howto: Install auxillary reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt have to drill other than for the switch. Which sits nicly on the left side. Directly to the left of the tail gate. Works great, I need to wire a 3 way switch, right now its On and off. and On only matters if its in reverse.

BTW, I super charged my lights too.

Flash was on, in this pic. They are NICE AND BRIGHT. :brsh1:

lotsalightsJPG.jpg

jniolon

Reaction score
RT

I can handle the wiring ok... I need to get access behind the interior panels to connect to the lighter wiring... what holds the inside panels in ?? ?screws ?? velcro ?? glue ??

any ideas

thanks
John

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT

I can handle the wiring ok... I need to get access behind the interior panels to connect to the lighter wiring... what holds the inside panels in ?? ?screws ?? velcro ?? glue ??

any ideas

thanks
John

If you mean the switch by panel. I used 3m tape. but that is because I was going through the steel bed of my truck, in the back of an SUV You could use the included screwes.

Im going tommarrow to NAPA auto to get a couple inline fuses and splice them in, as well as re wire them to the trailer light harness.

02TahoeBoy

Reaction score
This is really only minorly related but what holds in the tail lights? It looks like it's just a few screws from your pictures. I'm planning on getting aftermarket lights but I don't want to bother if it's to much of a pain to install. And I'm too cheap to have it done by a shop :D Sorry to hear about you guys with the damaged tendons. I had ACL problems a while back, i damaged it badly in a dirtbike accident and was VERY lucky that it healed well.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is really only minorly related but what holds in the tail lights? It looks like it's just a few screws from your pictures. I'm planning on getting aftermarket lights but I don't want to bother if it's to much of a pain to install. And I'm too cheap to have it done by a shop :D Sorry to hear about you guys with the damaged tendons. I had ACL problems a while back, i damaged it badly in a dirtbike accident and was VERY lucky that it healed well.

I've got a 2000. I removed one of mine last summer to dry out the inside, the lens got creased by some a**hole and the crack let moisture in. I couldn't afford a new light so I just dried it out and siliconed the crack. Anyhoo, point being it was a piece of cake. I don't even recall all the details but if I could figure it out there can't be much to it. Seems like a couple of screws and they pulled out. Just get a screw driver and start messing with it, I'm sure you can figure it out, no need to pay anyone to do it.

miketedeschi

Reaction score
That is correct. The light green wire carries 12v to the trailer harness... which will activate the reverse lights on a trailer, or I think they may have accessories that run on it (I thought I read there was some sort of braking system for reversing or something to that effect)

if i try and backup my boat without the right 5 pin trailer wiring plug, its physically impossible to reverse. the trailer brakes lock and wont let the wheels rotate backwards unless the reverse pin sees 12v.

mcfanny

Reaction score
bringing up an old thread but this is awesome going to do this tonight with some old utility lights i got laying around!