Humming at 55mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cha0s

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some of your opinions. I have a 2008 Thaoe Lt with 18,000 miles on it, and when im driving at 55mph im getting a strange humming noise. At first I thought it could be the tires, and since I hated the goodyears that were on it, I just got a set of Bridgestone Alenzas 2 weeks ago. Im still getting the humming at exactly 55mph. Any thoughts on this guys?

Mozy

Reaction score
Mine too

I posted a while ago for the same issue. I have an 08 tahoe 2wd with about 6,000 miles on it and I have noticed the same type of noise. Right around 50- 55 mph I hear a humming noise coming from it. Not that loud but noticeable. To me atleast. I've been meaning to take it in but just haven't had the time.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
JMO, but, I have seen a lot of posts and topics regarding the GMT900 based GM SUVs. Humming sounds, 4wd issues, interior trim issues, electrical issues, and thats just to name a few.

Are these just random things or is there an odd quality issue going on here?

cha0s

Reaction score
Im going to bring it in on Monday. I hope the dealer doesnt pull that I dont hear it crap. I bought this tahoe 2 months ago. It took them forever to fix my 06 tahoe when I had it. I think I brought it in 6 friggin times for the rearend grinding until they finally replaced the rear diff. :skep: Just wierd at 55 almost feels like when you drive on really rough pavement and you get that hum. My Tahoe does it no matter how smooth the pavement is, specifically at 55. Ill let ya all know what they say.

Last edited:

cha0s

Reaction score
I aslo noticed that its makes that humming sound alot worse when im going uphill. Noticed this tonight on the way home from work going ove a brige on the way home. I also feel it in the gas pedal. I hope this can be fixed. :(

hmbtahoe

Reaction score
i have noticed the same thing with my tahoe 08 LT but at littel higher speed lets say 70-75 mph. it is just like high vibration noise and i don't know if it has something to do with the critical speed of rotating machines???

cha0s

Reaction score
Well I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and I get a missed call at around 4:30 pm saying that they will need the car until tomorrow because they were working on some things. They didnt tell me what it was they were working on. My service guy was gone when i called back so I guess ill find out tomorrow. Hope its not a serious problem, ill let u guys know.

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 10,000 Tahoe is in the shop now. Same humming between 50 and 60 mph, on or off the gas. Dealer diag - replace ring and pinion.

cha0s

Reaction score
My 08 10,000 Tahoe is in the shop now. Same humming between 50 and 60 mph, on or off the gas. Dealer diag - replace ring and pinion.

Yep just got a call from the dealer, and there looking into that now too. :( Real nice after having the Tahoe for a little under 2 months.

cha0s

Reaction score
Well just got another call and they said the tahoe is ready. They are saying the hum is normal and it is the active fuel management system going to 4 cylinders is what that noise is :? Why dont I belive thme :/

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont accept that answer. Make them pull the cover off the diff and check the wear on the ring and pinion, then have them check the back lash. They are lying. I went thru hell getting them to admit the issue, then they had to get the regional rep to approve the fix because it was for $1000. I told them bull**** and called my customer service rep assigned to my case. Within 10 min the service manager called me back and said all is approved. I said DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!..... Give them hell. I dont care if GM is in the position they are in. We paid good money for these trucks and expect them to run right. Make them fix it.

cha0s

Reaction score
Ill get the write up on the work done and let ya know what they did. I specifically asked him about the rear diif and the pinion and he said that it was fine.;/I remember I had to get that bull**** approval when they replaced the diff in my 06 tahoe. What a pain in the ass. Im going to bring the Tahoe to a different dealer because im sick of dealing with these people. I also know a guy at the mechanic shop, maybe ill have him look at it and then if somethings wrong, have him write it up and smack that in the dealships face.

cha0s

Reaction score
Well I got the Tahoe back and all they did was "lube the slip yoke", and gave me 2 bulletins#06-06-05-001c and#PIP402G stating the humming is the fuel management kicking in and the bump I feel when coming to slow stops is slip yoke or fuel slosh. It took them 2 days with my car to tell me this!!!!!!!!!!!! :0 If this is a common problem , it would have been nice to know before I sheeled out the money. I honestly love the look of my Tahoe , but these issues are driving me crazy.

Mozy

Reaction score
Sounds like they are giving you the run around. I don't think it's the active fuel management cuz I have a 08 Tahoe ls with the 4.8 which doesn't have that fuel management bull**** and my truck still hums.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I dont know if you do any towing but if you do ask to have 4.10 installed.

cha0s

Reaction score
Sounds like they are giving you the run around. I don't think it's the active fuel management cuz I have a 08 Tahoe ls with the 4.8 which doesn't have that fuel management bull**** and my truck still hums.

Have you brought your Tahoe in for service for this problem?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When AFM kicks in your engine sounds deeper, and might humm a teeny bit. The easiest way to rule it out is to turn on your instant economy on the DIC and see if the noice coincides with V4 mode.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When AFM kicks in your engine sounds deeper, and might humm a teeny bit. The easiest way to rule it out is to turn on your instant economy on the DIC and see if the noice coincides with V4 mode.

I run 90% interstate highways, and the growl in the V4 mode is unmistakable. I can easily here it kick in and out. However. "getting on it" will immediately take it out of V4 and that growl goes away.

BTW, wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to sample the cabin noise, and play it thru the cabin loudspeakers 180 degree out of phase and cancel out that V4 growl that everyone complains about? :shhh: ;) ;)