Hybrid Tahoe will start at 50K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
GM says full-size SUV hybrids to retail for $50K-plus
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- General Motors Corp. announced the prices of its full-size hybrid SUVs today, saying all of the vehicles would retail for more than $50,000.

GM said the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid's suggested retail price would be $50,490 (two-wheel drive) and $53,295 (four-wheel drive), while the GMC Yukon Hybrid would be $50,945 (2WD); and $53,755 (4WD).

Those prices include a $900 destination charge and pending IRS approval, could be eligible for a federal tax credit.

Advertisement

"We promised to apply our most advanced technologies to vehicles that can save the most fuel, and we are delivering on that promise with the Tahoe and Yukon Hybrid SUVs," said GM vice chairman Bob Lutz today.

Automakers are under pressure to improve fuel economy amid soaring oil prices and growing calls in Congress to impose tough new efficiency standards.

Even so, automakers have struggled at times to convince buyers of the benefit of a hybrid version of a vehicle, especially when a cheaper nonhybrid version is sitting in the showroom. Toyota Motor Corp. has been at an advantage with its best-selling Prius, since it doesn't offer a nonhybrid version.

GM began assembling the full-size SUV hybrids last week in Arlington, Texas, and will begin delivering them to dealers in December. They will be available in large numbers after Jan. 1, GM said.

Last month, GM launched production of its first two-mode hybrid transmission at a plant outside Baltimore. The two-mode hybrid uses electric motors inside the car's transmission to directly power the vehicle, as well as a gas engine. The electric motors can also assist the gas engine.

The two-mode system will debut in the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid and 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid, making them the industry's only full-size hybrid SUVs.

The new GM hybrids boast a 50-percent improvement in fuel efficiency in city driving, with an overall improvement of 31 percent in combined city and highway driving.

GM isn't planning on making an identical nonhybrid version of the GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe, so the exact premium of the hybrid engine isn't known.

GM executives said the new hybrid SUVs will help stem the decline in full-size vehicle sales, which have been among the most profitable for U.S. automakers.

GM initially expects hybrid versions of its full-size SUVs to account for 5 percent to 10 percent of its sales for those models, said Mark LaNeve, the company's sales and marketing chief.

Last week, The News reported that GM had mistakenly posted incorrect prices on its Web site in October. Today's announcement was the first on sticker specifics.

GM is launching a hybrid Chevy Malibu this month that features a simpler system than the two-mode.

Next year, the Baltimore Transmission Plant will begin building two-mode hybrid transmissions for another five hybrid vehicles, including the Cadillac Escalade, and the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew cab full-size pickups.

The automaker also is working on the Chevy Volt, a concept plug-in vehicle that GM said it hopes to put in production in 2010 in Detroit. Lutz told reporters in Los Angeles it would have a driveable version early next year for testing.

Bloomberg News quoted Lutz as saying GM will use Chevrolet Malibu cars and install Volt underbodies.

You can reach David Shepardson at (202) 662 - 8735 or [email protected].

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/UPDATE/711140488/1148/AUTO01

Zzzz

Reaction score
hmmmm.....for the rather small increase in gas mileage, is it really worth it? I almost waited for these to come out, but I am kind of glad that I didnt.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I expected alot better fuel economy on the highway than just average 20mph and for the price they say it will go for, I rather stay with gasoline. Very dissapointed....

RandyDenali

Reaction score
I cannot say that I am shocked by the sticker price but $50K for an Tahoe or Yukon that gets 20 MPG and does not have all the features of a mid range Tahoe or Yukon? As those posted before, I'm pretty dissapointed.

If my math is correct, below is a breakdown on your savings from an 08 Tahoe / Yukon Hybrid (4WD) over my 07 Denali (AWD). I am assuming final price not including taxes.

Tahoe / Yukon Hybrid ($53,295.00 - $53,755.00): I would assume that you might be able to get $2,000 off sticker for the first part of 08...Maybe. The price above and below for the comparison does not include any options like the DVD system and others. So the price on the SUV could be considerably higher.

Yukon Denali ($46,100.00): I got a pretty good deal in September, but I seriously almost waited for this...So this analysis is basically for my own benefit and piece of mind that I made the right call.

Yukon Hybrid($51,755.00): I think that the idea of a full sized SUV is a great idea, but I am not sure that the price is worth what you are getting. I am sure that GM is cutting a fat hog on this thing though.

Yukon Denali - Avg. MPG 15.0 (Right Now). Assuming that I drive 15,000 miles a year at $3.00 Gallon. My annual fuel cost should be $3,000.00

Yukon Hybrid - Avg. MPG 20.0. Assuming that I drive 15,000 miles a year at $3.00 Gallon. My annual fuel cost should be $2,250.00

SUV Cost:
Yukon Denali: $46,100.00
Yukon Hybrid: $51,755.00

Cost Difference: $5,655.00 - Yukon Hybrid is Higher

SUV Fuel Cost Per Year:
Yukon Denali: $3,000.00
Yukon Hybrid: $2,250.00

Cost Difference: $750.00 - Yukon Hybrid is Cheaper

I think that I read somewhere that the average American keeps their cars for 5 years, which is what I typically do. Going on just the fuel savings alone, it would take 7.54 years to pay off the difference between the 2 SUV's. This does not take into account the interest that you would earn on your money as it sits in a bank either.

On the other hand, I do believe that you get a tax credit or deduction for owning a Hybrid. So that would be a plus.

Personally, I think that the Hybrid looks horrible, and does not have near the features of my Denali. If you buy this Hybrid SUV, you are basically paying for piece of mind on the envrionment. Which is a good thing, but I still think that I made the right call.

Bottom Line: I will keep my Denali because I absolutely love it. If you keep your cars longer than 7-8 years and don't care about styling...Then this may the SUV for you. Just not for me.

Randy

Last edited:

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Randy, so much more on a Hybrid just to save on gas for such a small amount why bother.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Escalade, but unless I had a ridiculuos amount of money, I would have to pass on the Escalade.

my mom has had them, her last one was an 05 esv, but she traded it for her new acadia. i too agree its a waist of money, all your paying for is the name.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at the option list you are getting LTZ level options on all Hybrids. They have NAV etc already included as standard equipment. You are getting alot of vehicle for your money PLUS the Hybrid.

gassman

Reaction score
Motorweek just reviewed the Tahoe hybrid and it wasn't too exciting. The areodynamic changes make it prone to overheat. It cannot tow more than 6000 lbs. It looks stupid. The cost out-last the fuel savings. I'll keep my LTZ.:yesnod:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorweek just reviewed the Tahoe hybrid and it wasn't too exciting. The areodynamic changes make it prone to overheat. It cannot tow more than 6000 lbs. It looks stupid. The cost out-last the fuel savings. I'll keep my LTZ.:yesnod:

At least there trying... Rather go with a Tahoe equipped with the new DMAX diesel motor comin out. :Chevy:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a loaded 4wd LT3 Z71 and with tax and license it was far cheaper than the base hybrid tahoe 2wd.
I'm also willing to bet that the towing capacity on the hybrid is lower due to the extra weight of the batteries and other hybrid components.
Unless I am missing something, I dont know who in their right mind would buy these things.