Hydrogen Internal Combustion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketedeschi

Reaction score
BEFORE YOU REPLY: For this post, I would ask that anyone who posts please focus on the feasibility of a gasoline V8 internal combustion engine running on hydrogen strictly from a mechanical standpoint. I would ask that for all intensive purposes that no one discusses the obvious drawbacks or creating, making, storing, or obtaining hydrogen gas. Comments which suggest its not possible because “if it were that easy it would be more common†are also something I would prefer to stay away from. I don’t want to get into politics and the oil industry or conspiracy or patents. I simply wish to discuss the modifications needed to make a full size GM internal combustion engine run on hydrogen instead of gasoline. I also ask that anyone stay away from negative comments which dismiss the idea without reason. The theory makes sense, and if it's possible to do it with propane, it’s possible (of course with modification) to do it with hydrogen. Hypothetically, let's say there is a virtually unlimited supply of pure hydrogen gas stored in large tanks in my backyard. So there’s unlimited free hydrogen for the purpose of this post. I was to focus on problems and barriers to this concept. And don’t mention myth busters. It’s possible.

The setup that seems most feasible to me would be to replace the gas tank with a cylinder to store hydrogen, and have the fuel line carry hydrogen gas directly to the fuel injectors. I’m not a mechanic or an engineer and I’m not going to pretend to be but can this work? I also am not talking about a $59 kit from the internet. I think spending a few thousand dollars on this is more realistic.

More/less power?
More/less heat?
Possible range in miles with a tank similar in size to the excising fuel tank?
Necessary/Legal to remove emissions controls?
Would my maganflow still sound good? Haha

If anyone else is sick of $4.00 a gallon and would like to comment discuss this, I don’t want to give up my V8. In fact I want one for the rest of my life. I don’t care what I put in the tank but gas is killing me. Comments?