I need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse83

Reaction score
So, I bought my very first Chevy ever. It is a 99 4x4 tahoe 5.7 vortec. This thing is clean it has 126200 miles on it, I have always liked the way they looked so I got it. 5 days later driving down the road I decided to romp on the gas to see what she HAD. She didn't have much, I lost all power and died. I couldn't get it started back up so I cought a tow to the house went out the next day started right up but now I can hear a bearing going bad in the engine. I don't know which bearing it is yet but it is in the front part of the engine. Yes I removed the serpentine belt to confirm it wasn't a fan clutch or pully. My question is what would be my best option to buy a short block and use my motor to complete the engine I found one for 700, a long block best price I found is 1500 plus core charge, or could I replace the bearings myself and it would be good.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of noise is it?

I put a longblock in mine and I am VERY happy that I did, thought it ran good before, but whole different ball game now (I had near 300k on the old engine tho... but it was stout and when I tore the heads off the old block there wasn't any ridges or anything, just a crack in the block from PO who used straight water instead of 50/50....)

Jesse83

Reaction score
It is a metal on metal whining noise. Where did you get your long block what price. I think I'm going to go with the sort block and use my head's and all. I found one rebuilt oil pan up, it comes with all seals and a 3 year warranty.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came from Autozone, paid $1400 after an instant $100 off and had a $100 mail in gift card fro autozone. I got the longblock so my heads were freshly machined (like I said mine had near 300k on it)... Mine has a 3yr on it also.