installing 3rd row seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyrod

Reaction score
has anyone ever installed 50/50 split third row seats in a Tahoe that was not equipped with them originally? I acquired the seats and the hardware, but never saw how they were installed in a model that came equipped wth them so I don't know how to imitate the installation.. I have extensive metal, welding skills and can handle reverse engineering, but a peak into what the hardware looked like installed would be great. If anyone has a picture to share of what the hardware installed looks like - would be great. thanks in advance.
mark

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done it yet, but I have done a little research since I plan to do it when I buy another tahoe. We do have an 03 tahoe in our family already, and that has the 3rd row seat from the factory. I have not inspected it to see how it actually goes since there is carpet over all but a few small holes and you cant really see much. I am pretty convinced that I dont need to inspect the current one since the addition APPEARS to be very simple. This is what I have gathered:
1) all of this generation tahoe's come with the mounting locations pre-drilled (and threaded?).
2) all you need to do is buy the brackets and bolt them onto the pre-drilled (maybe threaded) locations under the carpet\floor. It is my understanding that no driling, metal work, or fabrication of any kind is needed. If you have a wrench you should be able to do this.

I found these sources helpful (and it might be in your best interest to contact the ebay guy selling the brackets and instructions and see if he can email you just the instructions since you already have the brackets. Offer him 10 bucks ?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-08-3RD-THIRD-ROW-SEAT-STRIKERS-BRACKETS-TAHOE-YUKON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQihZ007QQitemZ170189969215QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=3564

The above thread has some good pictures (exactly what I see when i look in the back of my Hoe) - and in post #9 "02Tahoez" explains how he did exactly what you want to do.

Hope this helps,
Chad

SS#1230

Reaction score
i did this. it's easy. i got seats on ebay and the brackets (or "strikers") from my brother-in-law who is the service manager at the local GM dealership.

his cost on all the needed floor hardware (bolts and brackets) was $130. if you get a high price from a dealership, then get the partnumbers and order them from gmpartsdirect.com

most dealerships will tell you that if your tahoe didnt come with the 3rd row seats, you cant put them in because there are no "anchors" in the vehicle. this isnt true. the nuts are welded or somehow secured to the bottom on the floorpan. they have some plastic plugs in them from the inside of the vehicle. just remove the plastic peace in the rear and pull the carpet up to see all the plugs and pull them out. screw the brackets in and cut the carpet and pad.

cutting the carpet and pad was the most difficult thing about the job.

the only draw back is that there is no plastic guide in the carpet like it would have from the factory...

ill try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Jeremy

Last edited:

SS#1230

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my installed 3rd row seats (folded up).

P6250043.jpg

P6250044.jpg

P6250045.jpg

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest.......I think the lack of the plastic guides is a good thing....those things get annoying

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the plastic gets in the way when you want say a cooler in the back it keeps it propped up at an angle.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those guides drive me crazy, I wonder how much harder it would be to put the seats in/out without them?

SS#1230

Reaction score
it's really not hard, but i did rip my carpet a bit because the front hooks caught once when i was removing the seat.....

miecz23

Reaction score
How to remove third row?

I have the third row installed on my 08 Tahoe and was able to get the seats to flip up but just can't get them out. Any clues?

Landshark

Reaction score
Don't flip them up. Fold down seatback and pull on the handle. It will come right out.

SS#1230

Reaction score
the plugs are plastic...get a flathead screw driver and pop em out....

no big deal.

Speedbird747

Reaction score
Can the same be done with adding a 3rd row to a PPV tahoe or is that not something that can be done.