Installing Magnaflow 16672 unit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to take off the stock exhaust unit?
How hard is it to install this bolt on system?

Is this something that you recommend that I take to a local shop to have them perform?

Thank you in advance.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to take off the stock exhaust unit?
How hard is it to install this bolt on system?

Is this something that you recommend that I take to a local shop to have them perform?

Thank you in advance.

I know a guy who tried to install a Magnaflow on his own and regretted not having a shop do it for him. And coincidenltly enough his biggest problem was installing the bolt! And this guy is no stranger to mechanical work on trucks. He had a hard time.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the Magnaflow but I put on my GM catback in about 1.5 hours in the driveway.

solidgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like it may be worth it to have a shop perform the installation for me so far.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed my catback system. Was easier for me to just put a SawZall to the stock pipe and then unbolt stock system. Instructions were easy to follow from the box.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. The hardest part was slipping the rubber hangers off which is why I bought the tool. Made it very easy. Sawzall is the way to go.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it with a small hacksaw, a ratchet, and my bare fingers. Cutting the old one out that way was a bitch, wish I had a sawzall. But putting the new one in was a snap (GM Performance). Not too much problem with the hangers really (well, it did take some working back and forth...); greased em a bit to make it easier. I don't understand why the one guys mechanic friend had a problem, as long as you bolt in evenly there shouldn't be any leaks, but that was a different system I suppose.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try it yourself, and if it goes bad, take it to the shop for them to 'mop-up' for you.
I bet you suprise yourself, and it feels way better when you can say "oh yeah, i slapped that in myself in like 15 minutes, bro."

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have basic tools, a sawzall (cut off wheel would also work in a pinch) and some jackstands, you can do it in your driveway. I did mine in less than an hour. I did use my sawzall and air tools, but there aren't many bolts anyways...none of the cat backs are true "bolt-on" kits because of the need to cut the stock exhaust pipe in front of the muffler...

Once you have cut the stock system where the directions tell you to, it's just a matter of wriggling it out and dealing with the hangers...I was able to easily deal with them with some channel locks...

If you have any mechanical experience and the basic tools, it's a pretty easy job...if you don't have the tools, then bring it to a shop and do it the easy way... :thumbsup:

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dejavu

Hello peeps,

I am planning on this installing this very same unit and do not have a sawzall. Can this be found at say, Home Depot? Otherwise, the other tips sound great and seems like I have all the other tools. Thx! :fly2: Wish me luck on my adventure!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Home Depot, and just about any quality hardware store, would have Sawzalls (Sawzall is actually the brand name of the Old Milwaukee original, but almost every power tool maker has a version of the "sawzall" - ask for a reciprocating saw, or just sawzall and they'll know what you are talking about.)

Then just get some blades for cutting metal and you're set. Sawzalls are great tools to have, you can cut all kinds of stuff! My newer Milwaukee has a rotating/folding handle, which is awesome for getting into tight spaces...

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I was also told porter cable is another good brand. My Magnaflow and Volant powercore are en route to the house. I may be getting this installed for free as my dealership owes me a favor--my IPOD dissapeared when I got my leather installed. I may just buy one to have it though...I'll keep yall posted!:D