Intake manifold gasket leak on a 2000 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sent Justin my data logs for my tune and it looks like I have an intake manifold gasket leak. How difficult/time consuming is this? I'm not much of a mechanic but I have a neighbor and good friend who is.

Thanks.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't take more than an hour or so to replace all intake gaskets.

All in all pretty easy.

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
An Hour? you might want to allot 4 hours.
I just replaced mine last week. Not hard, just a lot of electrical connectors.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Hour? you might want to allot 4 hours.
I just replaced mine last week. Not hard, just a lot of electrical connectors.

Thanks. Since you just did yours do you have any tips or hints? This is gonna suck, winter has hit and I don't have a heated garage, wonder if I can find someone who does.

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
Take everything off as an assembly.....leave the throttle body on the intake, just remove the coolant lines from the bottom of the TB. Leave the fuel rail and injectors on, just get the tool to disconnect the fuel lines (make sure you bleed the pressure off first).

The worst part for me was removing the fuel injector connectors...especially the back 2. You have to remove a gray clip off the connector before you can unplug it.

Disconnect the brake booster vacuum line at the booster. it is way easier that way.

Be extra careful when cleaning the gasket sealing surface, there will be a lot of dirt/grit close to the bottom of the ports. last thing you need is dirt to fall in the intake.

most importantly....Take your time! Double check everything.

Tighten the manifold down in sequence.....you don't really need any torque wrenches, just use the "good and snug" method. Tighten in steps

You will need a fuel line tool.....$15 at NAPA, some carb cleaner, plenty of rags, and of course the manifold gaskets. They set me back $55 at NAPA. I used the Felpro MS- 92211