Intermediate Shaft???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbrotherton

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a true fix for the intermediate shaft rattle, other than continually replacing the orginal, flaw designed part??? ie... improved part by GM???

05LS

Reaction score
my mom does waranties for GM and after I had mine replaced she told me to keep it greased and I wont have the problem again.

tbrotherton

Reaction score
Thank you.

My understanding though was that it was a issue with splines. Apparently there is a greater distance between the splines than desireable. Thus eventually leading to the aformentioned. I will replace it a try keeping it greased, See how long it lasts. Thanks.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,there is a direct replacement shaft made by Borgenson that will eliminate that clunk,I have it in my truck and it improved the overall feel of the steering with no clunk.This shaft makes the stock one look like a toy (its a nice piece) Also, Nascar uses Borgenson.You should also check the bearing and bushing at the end of the steering column,this is where the shaft connects to the steering column,to check it you have to go under the dash and see if you can wiggle the shaft around, it should feel tight with no play.Just did this on a friends tahoe,we also siliconed the bushing in place so it cant rattle around,after changeing the bearing and bushing with the shaft it was solid as a rock :thumbsup:.If you feel a clunk around a long swooping turn its the shaft,if you hear an annoying clunk after some small bumps its probably the bearing and bushing. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...=BRG-000937&N=700+4294924642+115&autoview=sku

joeygill

Reaction score
Whipple - Thats good info! Did you replace yours yourself? How hard/easy was it?

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple - Thats good info! Did you replace yours yourself? How hard/easy was it?

Yes I replaced mine myself,it wasnt hard at all,two 15mm bolts one under the hood and one under the dash,you can see where the shaft connects to the steering column inside the truck.The new shaft comes with instructions.The hardest thing is the tolerances are close so the shaft fits very snug into place to realighn the bolt holes,an extra set of hands is great and a hard rubber mallet to tap it in, just takes a little patience.The bolts get tightened to 60ft lbs so you need a torque wrench.The most important thing to do in this install is to tie the steering wheel into place so it cant free spin after the shaft is removed,some people use the seat belt,or you can take a peice of rope to the door jam hook,this is important because there is a clock spring in the column that could break.You can turn it but has to be put back into same position when done.The whole job should take 30 mins to an hour,if its your first time an hour+ just to double check yourself and take your time.Any questions feel free.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borgeson makes good stuff, I sell alot of jeep parts by them with great results. I checked my shaft and it only has a slight amount of play but I'll be buying a new shaft from borg if it gets any worse, I've sold a few on lifted trucks and people have said it felt way better than stock.

spleuba

Reaction score
What are the symptoms of this? My 2004 4wd Tahoe LT makes clunck when turning the wheel to the right and going slowly. It feels as if the steering is loose and you can feel the clunk in the steering. Thanks.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of this? My 2004 4wd Tahoe LT makes clunck when turning the wheel to the right and going slowly. It feels as if the steering is loose and you can feel the clunk in the steering. Thanks.

Those are the symtoms of the intermediate shaft,there is a temp grease fix but will come back,the best fix is the new Borgeson shaft.

stinkync

Reaction score
I just picked a 04 Z71 with all those symptoms. Replaced the shaft and the truck drives 100% better. I must say it was far easier to on then my old 4Runner.