intermittent no crank / crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foxie

Reaction score
At the end of my tether !! Just before the 3 year warranty ran out on by 2004 Tahoe, it developed an intermittent no start problem. Initially diagnosed as a Crank Sensor fault. This was changed and it ran faultlessly for a few months and then became out of warranty.

The problem happened again, it would intermittently have no crank, then trying to start it again it would crank but not start. third attempt it would start ok.

I've had a remote start fitted to bypass the vats and that's made no difference.

this problem has been going on for just about a year now and it's only done about 15K Miles

Any help / suggestions welcome

Is the Body Contol Module next !!!!!!!!!!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be something in the ignition, it's hard to tell with those rigs when it comes to trying to start it (so much electronics)

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of my tether !! Just before the 3 year warranty ran out on by 2004 Tahoe, it developed an intermittent no start problem. Initially diagnosed as a Crank Sensor fault. This was changed and it ran faultlessly for a few months and then became out of warranty.

The problem happened again, it would intermittently have no crank, then trying to start it again it would crank but not start. third attempt it would start ok.

I've had a remote start fitted to bypass the vats and that's made no difference.

this problem has been going on for just about a year now and it's only done about 15K Miles

Any help / suggestions welcome

Is the Body Contol Module next !!!!!!!!!!

The BCM wouldn't be the issue. if it was bad nothing in the car would work.

Sounds like what your describing is that the tahoe will crank over but not start . untill you have attempted to do it the third time. so it's not a starter system issue. When was the fuel filter replaced? or do you have the NON flex fuel tahoe? How many miles do you have on her? when we some times change the fuel filter we gotta crank it one or two times before it turns over cause there is a loss of fuel pressure. what your describing is something like that happening. I would get them to test the fuel pump to make sure your getting fuel pressure to the engine. If you do have the flex fuel tahoe get them to check the fuel filter it may be clogged. When was the engine done the tune-up? spark plugs wires etc?

foxie

Reaction score
Thanks....

Don't think it can be fuel, as when the fault occurs the.........

first turn of the key you get NOTHING - NO CRANK - just dead.

second attempt it will crank but not fire up

third attempt it will crank, fire and run

??? Bizarre

They are pretty rare here in the UK and it's not like taking it into a North American GM dealer who can swap out parts to try.... Every part has to be shipped (costly) and cannot be sent back ! A BCM is expensive if not proven to be the fault.

As said before, it's only covered about 15,000 miles. So has only had oil changes to date, nothing else. I said the BCM as read a previous post that had intermittent start problems and the BCM was mentioned.

Last edited: