IPod Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in market for an IPOD (160gb) but I have one question. Are you able to hook up your Ipod to your A/V inputs on your (Aftermarket) dvd player and watch videos? Okay I guess my real question is do I need any docking thingy or special wires, etc.,.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not an iPod guy, but the CoastalETech GMX320 and the iPod lockpick will do the trick, so you can control the player from the vehicle touch screen, and watch the video output on the front display as well. Dunno if it will output to the RSE screen, you'd need to contact them and confirm (or maybe it says on the product page; I think you need another interface cable)... Link to their site is in my sig below (NAV+DVD Lockpick). Good luck!

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I WISH GM WOULD HURRY UP AND GET THE PAL (personal audio link ) out, that and the lcd remote key fob, they have been talking and promising that since feb, promising a later date each time they meat the deadline when it was origioanl supposed to be out.

the pal lets you use the nav and steering whell controls to control the ipod tucked away in the glove box, plus it can charge while in there too. :clapping:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but the resolution isn't so great (I have a 80G).

I have an aftermarket DVD player (roof mounted), I dont want to carry 50 cartoon dvds around for the kids :giggling:. How did you connect it your moniters?

1BadPig

Reaction score
I WISH GM WOULD HURRY UP AND GET THE PAL (personal audio link ) out, that and the lcd remote key fob, they have been talking and promising that since feb, promising a later date each time they meat the deadline when it was origioanl supposed to be out.

the pal lets you use the nav and steering whell controls to control the ipod tucked away in the glove box, plus it can charge while in there too. :clapping:
Unless GM does some major redesign on the interface to iPod, I won't get the PAL in the Tahoe. I have PAL in my HHR and it is not intuitive nor is it friendly to use. Not all the iPod functions are available through steering wheel controls. :cuss: :mad: :mad2:

1BadPig

Reaction score
I have an aftermarket DVD player (roof mounted), I dont want to carry 50 cartoon dvds around for the kids :giggling:. How did you connect it your moniters?
I have aftermarket portable headrest mount dual screen DVD for the kids. I just carry DVDs instead of using the iPod.

dcspain

Reaction score
I connect my video ipod to the inputs located on the back of the center console. I don't use any kind of interface with the factory radio other than pressing the Aux button (you must also press the aux button on the remote for the rear screen). Then I just lay the ipod in the indention on the center console. You must select the tv screen on button under the video menu on your ipod. Also, to connect it to the inputs, I highly recommend the xtrememac roadshow wires. The roadshow includes the red/white and video plugs as well as a cigarette lighter charger all in one. It interfaces with the ipod using the bottom connector (charges while watching). The clarity is fine using this setup. (www.xtrememac.com)

bryanc1819

Reaction score
any idea when chevy will start selling the personal audio link for your ipod. i have been using coastal etech lockpick and have had nothing but problems?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea when chevy will start selling the personal audio link for your ipod. i have been using coastal etech lockpick and have had nothing but problems?

What sort of problems? I have the lockpick for the NAV unit and it works fine............was getting ready to order the IPOD pick.

bryanc1819

Reaction score
the nav/dvd works great. the ipod has been a different story. sometimes when switching from the ipod back to the radio it wont let me do it. i have to completely unplug the ipod to get back to the radio. yesterday the ipod menu came up but had all the xm categories listed insted of the ipod menu. i have xm channel 8 and 9 programmed in my favorites. with the ipod lockpick installed i can use the dial to get to xm 9 and the favorite button but once there it will not allow me to use the steering wheel controls to cycle past xm 9. i removed the unit last night and have not had any problems. many people have no problems maybe i just got a bad unit. i will be sending it back for replacement, if they will, today. if the new one does the same thing i will trash it and wait for the personal audio link from chevy. coastaletech says there is nothing wrong and the new one will act the same way. customer service is lacking.

bryanc1819

Reaction score
just an update. sent ipod lockpick back after being told by coastal they would send another unit. it has been 2 weeks since they received it and have yet to send me a replacement. not much for customer support. looks like peripheral is the way to go.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in market for an IPOD (160gb) but I have one question. Are you able to hook up your Ipod to your A/V inputs on your (Aftermarket) dvd player and watch videos? Okay I guess my real question is do I need any docking thingy or special wires, etc.,.

Yeah but like the guy below you said, the resolution would not be like a true DVD. The Ipod only outputs 320x240 video while your monitors are probably at least 640x480. So in theory it would be half as sharp as running a DVD.