Large SUV production cuts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its going to hurt me pretty bad. I'm trading my wifes 2007 for a loaded 2009 Yukon SLT when they start taking orders (hers is a lemon I swear) so I want to get out of it before the warranty is up in a couple thousand miles. I'll probably keep my 2004 for a while now but it has almost 70,000 miles so I hope it holds up for me.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this, last weekend we sold a '07 Yukon Denali XL fully loaded (TV/DVD, 2-tone leather, factory 22s, AWD, etc.) with just under 10k on the clock for $35k. While we were going through it before the customer test drove it, we found the original sticker and paperwork and that truck sold for $56k in May of '07, just barely one year ago. That's a $20k loss in 12 mos. We are def not in the large SUV heyday, lol.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this, last weekend we sold a '07 Yukon Denali XL fully loaded (TV/DVD, 2-tone leather, factory 22s, AWD, etc.) with just under 10k on the clock for $35k. While we were going through it before the customer test drove it, we found the original sticker and paperwork and that truck sold for $56k in May of '07, just barely one year ago. That's a $20k loss in 12 mos. We are def not in the large SUV heyday, lol.

It makes me want to throw up when I see how much we're going to lose on it. KBB trade in value on it is $26750 in excellent condition. I paid $43k for it in the middle of December with 3k miles on the clock (it was a dealer demo). I still owe $5k on it, I'm just going to write a check tomorrow and be done with it. She's going to drive the wheels off of the 2009 Yukon when she gets it.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to either. That last Tahoe still did well at 115k.

As many times as mine has been in the shop at under 22k miles there's no way I'll keep it without the extended warranty. I mean seriously, who has to have the entire driver seat replaced at 15k? I only weigh 185 FFS.. :lol:

Question is, will GMAC be around to back the GM protection plan?

DTD

markiv396

Reaction score
I too am saddened by these developments but am not surprised due to the current state of our country and economy. We bought our Tahoe from a practical standpoint for seating capacity, drive in winter weather and towing capability. We get the full use from the loosely used term SUV. I dread that our options maybe more limited in the future. The Acadia and Enclave are truly magnificent machines but would not serve our current needs.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Acadia and Enclave are truly magnificent machines but would not serve our current needs.

Keep it then. I'm going to drive my Yukon until it's cool again. Even if that means that is when my unborn kids are in their late teens or early 20s. I don't plan on getting rid of mine unless I trade it for a truck with a bed, otherwise it is staying with me.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with gas at $4 a gallon, I just suck it up and drive slower to save gas.

That's all you can do. Or take it in the wallet on a trade-in.

How many tanks do you guys go through a month? That plays a major role. I go through 2 if I just do regular putting around town. If I drive out to Ca, bump that up to 5 or 6.

markiv396

Reaction score
We tend to keep our vehicles (01 Silverado, 01 Grand Prix GTP) for the long term. I have had some envy on the styling changes on the 07 and 08 Tahoes but ours has every option we would want and I wouldn't be gaining anything on a newer model. I also am concerned about the stories of worse gas mileage and lower towing capacity on the new gen. Like most people with Tahoes I knew I would get poorer gas mileage than our other vehicles but the trade off (see previous post) made it worth while. We'll see what the future holds!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sound smug, but this is just another reason I prefer to lease...trends change, economies change, fuel prices change, etc, but I am happy knowing that when I am done with the vehicle and ready to get something new, I don't have to worry about resale value, the dealer does... :thumbsup: But I feel for everyone facing the crappy resale market, that sucks...

On the other hand, might be worth keeping one of these things for a long time (if you can afford the gas that long), and when people are being forced to buy crappy, tiny econo-boxes because of EPA requirements, there will probably be a pent up demand for "the old days" of big iron and REAL vehicles...you may have a valuable commodity then! :)

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sound smug, but this is just another reason I prefer to lease...trends change, economies change, fuel prices change, etc, but I am happy knowing that when I am done with the vehicle and ready to get something new, I don't have to worry about resale value, the dealer does... :thumbsup: But I feel for everyone facing the crappy resale market, that sucks...

Except that your lease payments are based on the depreciation over the lease term. More depreciation, higher lease payments.

On the other hand, might be worth keeping one of these things for a long time (if you can afford the gas that long), and when people are being forced to buy crappy, tiny econo-boxes because of EPA requirements, there will probably be a pent up demand for "the old days" of big iron and REAL vehicles...you may have a valuable commodity then! :)

Europe has some incredibly nice small cars, which I suspect we'll be getting here in the US soon. It won't be so bad. :)

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Except that your lease payments are based on the depreciation over the lease term. More depreciation, higher lease payments.

Europe has some incredibly nice small cars, which I suspect we'll be getting here in the US soon. It won't be so bad. :)

That is where GM could kick ass if they wanted to by, making an econo box that doesn't feel like one with a nice interior, that would be a hit! Look at the Mini cooper(I think they are ugly as hell) but that car is a good seller and good on gas, fun to drive, that is something GM needs to come up with. I just don't think econo boxes have to be boring. We have 2 Jetta's, love the look, hate the repair bills! The VW suffer from many quality problems.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is where GM could kick ass if they wanted to by, making an econo box that doesn't feel like one with a nice interior, that would be a hit! Look at the Mini cooper(I think they are ugly as hell) but that car is a good seller and good on gas, fun to drive, that is something GM needs to come up with.

They have those in Europe already. Opel, a GM subsidiary, makes some great cars. You can see them here in the US as the Saturn Astra and Aura.

The Mini Cooper S is a hoot to drive and an all-around great car. Fun on the race track, too.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
They have those in Europe already. Opel, a GM subsidiary, makes some great cars. You can see them here in the US as the Saturn Astra and Aura.

The Mini Cooper S is a hoot to drive and an all-around great car. Fun on the race track, too.

I'm not that familiar with the Saturn line as they just started looking good and not ridiculous.