Leaking lots of oil from bottom of engine....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a 700 mile trip this week and noticed early on the the rear hatch glass was covered with an oil mist. At first I thought I drove thru something, but a look underneath revealed entire underside wet with oil but nothing on the the wheelhouse liners. It appears that I've lost about a quart. If I'm right, it's coming from a location right above the oil filter. Anyone else encountered this problem?.....anyone else have 45,000 miles on a year and a half old 'Hoe? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have left the old filter gasket on and it's blowing past it or like metro said just a bad change. Left it hand tite.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....Did you have an oil change done recently...like at Jiffy Lube?

Like I clearly said, "IT'S ABOVE THE FILTER!!". Hey Metro, if you averaged 600 miles a week, would you go to Jiffy Lube? It's not the gasket either. I change my own oil so I know. It's ABOVE the filter somewhere on the block.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

Update....I put it up on ramps, and got on the creeper to have a look. It's not coming from the engine. I did have a leak directly above the filter, but I think the dealership fixed that about 10K ago. I thought it came back.

It must be coming from the transfer case. It's greenish color, and it's all over the entire bottom of the vehicle from the transmission back. It also appears to be disolving the black (is it?) factory undercoating material. It's a mess.....:sad:

20tahoe07

Reaction score
Just to answer your last question my tahoe has 72,xxx:eek: miles and i have NOT had a single problem with it. Why dont you take it to the dealership? You still have warrenty, and it will save you a headache, am i right?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coating on the frame etc is some type of petroleum based product that is dissolved easily when other oil or solvent comes in contact with it.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer. They confirmed it. Trashed transfer case. It's 100% covered under the drivetrain warranty, and I got a almost brand new loaner while they fix it.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow-up

I got the Tahoe back last night all fixed, cleaned up and washed for me. The service area was closed so I couldn't talk to anybody there, but the repair sheet said something like:
"Transfer case oil pump ate a hole in the cover causing oil to leak."

They replaced a bunch of seals, something called a "cover strip", and a "case". I definitely need to purchase the service manuals. I'm back in bidniz. BTW, don't buy an Equinox (my loaner)......:rolleyes2: