LED Lighting Under Carriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting white LED lighting under my suburban so when the power running boards come down when the door is opened you can see.

I'll mount them so not to see the LED's themselves but just the after-glow they produce on the ground and running board.

I checked ebay and found this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4 so for about $75.00 I think it will look pretty cool?

480 CM is just over 16' long. This product can be cut to any size, even if I cut it in half that leaves me with just over 8' per side. I don't even think I'll need the whole 8' per side to cover the running boards.

This product is also water proof and people use it at the bottom of pools so I know it can take what the road and mother nature will dish out.

It is also flexible, but I'M hoping to find a straight run under the suburban once I look under there to find a mounting spot.

Any suggestions?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly but I'd be willing to bet you can find a good place for it easily. I expect that some people are going to chastise you for ricing it out or something, so I'd just like to say this in advance: This is perfectly fine to do because it has a real function, lighting the step. Since it does have function, it'll probably look prety cool too. So I expect a full blessing of this project, please post pics.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly but I'd be willing to bet you can find a good place for it easily. I expect that some people are going to chastise you for ricing it out or something, so I'd just like to say this in advance: This is perfectly fine to do because it has a real function, lighting the step. Since it does have function, it'll probably look prety cool too. So I expect a full blessing of this project, please post pics.

I don't want to rice it out. I'll get a viedo on youtube once I do.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well that would be the concept but they would only function when the door was opened and the power board folded down, once the door closed and the power board went up the light would go off.

Also in that video you could see the LED lights, on mine I'll mount them not to see the LED itself but just the white glow of light it will shine on the board and ground in front of it.

So the two things I have to look at before I order the lights...

1. Finding a straight run so not to contort the light for mounting.
2. Finding 12 V power that triggers the LED's when the doors are open and board drops down.

For the 12 V power I don't want to run the LED's on both sides together. If I did that when a left door is opened the LED's on both sides will light up. I think I'll grab power from the boards themselves so when the left door is opened the board will drop and LED's will come on and the same for the right side.

randyp

Reaction score
I have power running boards myself and think this is a cool idea. With your description of operation I don't this will 'rice' it out.

This website was posted for underhood lighting but you may want to check it out for your project.

http://www.oznium.com/

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have power running boards myself and think this is a cool idea. With your description of operation I don't this will 'rice' it out.

This website was posted for underhood lighting but you may want to check it out for your project.

http://www.oznium.com/

Thanks for the site. :thumbsup:

I have to get my butt in gear and take a peek under the truck to see what it looks like under there...

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to rice it out. I'll get a viedo on youtube once I do.

Oh no, I'm definitely trying to say that it is not rice, for the record, in case some try to imply that it is. Lighting steps is a nice customization.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I was thinking about what if you had a light above shining onto the step, another under the step shining on the ground, maybe even one shining on the rocker panel; it might be too much but talk about lighting the steps to get in... and no shadows that might actually make someone trip, thus defeating the purpose... In this case you'd probably want each to be fairly dim...

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummmm, the problem with that would be that it will have to many LED strips and more wiring, meaning more things to go wrong when/if they do.

Sounds like a great idea thou...

I looked under the truck and didn't like what I saw but, it is workable...

Once I get the lights and before I mount them I'll take a few pix of them adjusted different ways and see what everyone thinks.

what I'M shooting for thou is the LED to shine on the step and right in front of it.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah could be. If you hit the light that way that'll work. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Norris83

Reaction score
I was about to come in here and burn.. but its a pretty good idea! can't wait to see the pics/video