Looking for a Tahoe, some concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bogey78

Reaction score
A few months ago my wife decided the minivan was just not what she wanted to drive. I was enjoying a van that I had owned since new and had paid off years ago. However, she ultimately wore me down and I sold the van a few weeks ago.

We went shopping and she had decided she wanted a Traverse. We both liked them okay, but then the salesman suggested we try a tahoe, she was hooked. I, of course, wanted to research a bit and found this forum. It was then that I found out about the dreaded oil consumption and my brain began to spin at the thought of buying an oil burner and expensive repairs.

I have poured over forum posts and reviews and have basically come to the conclusion that I will probably stay in 2009 and newer year models. Then I saw that models manufactured after 2/2011 had an updated valve cover that is supposed to stave off oil consumption. As you can see, I have driven myself and my wife crazy with my research.

What I would like to know is this: am I making too much of this? Should I just find an '09 and newer tahoe with about 100K on the odometer and dive in? Should I up my budget and look for a 2011 with updated valve cover?

We are trying to stay in the $25K range but would prefer to spend less, of course. I'd appreciate a little help from some of the forum regulars here.

BTW, I am a habitual researcher of all things I plan to purchase such as motorcycles, guns, boats, etc.... The internet can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

KyJim

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe I bought new and have had absolutely no problems with it.
Mine only has 34000 miles on it and does not have a scratch. I don't know about the oil use as mine does not do this.

My Sister and her husband also have a 2007 they bought new and they don't have the oil use issue and theirs has around 90,000 miles.

They ride great, but gas mileage is not the best as mine gets around 16 MPG.
I mostly just drive mine in the winter hence the low miles.

bogey78

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I appeciate it. Still looking, but man did I pick a bad time to buy a used car. People are getting taxes back an everything is artificially high.

Gregb1954

Reaction score
We have a 2007 LT with the 5.3l engine. It had 19,000 miles on it and now has 56,000. It is our 2nd Tahoe (other was a '95) and they are great vehicles in so many regards. Only bummer was the tranny went out at 25k miles!!! Totally a fluke as our other Tahoe had 165k on it and it shifted great when we sold it (same transmission as the 2007!). It will burn 1 quart of oil over 6k miles. Not a big deal to me. My wife won't drive anything else, including a Traverse!

longday

Reaction score
What is important is to get a very pristine unit and fresh as you can and surely it would last longer and won't give you any headache. With your budget you are safe enough to find one fresh.