Looking to buy new Tahoe soon for trailering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricky22

Reaction score
So, I am trading in my Traverse in about two weeks. I have to buy a bigger tow vehicle as I just purchased the Venture Sonic SN220BVH travel trailer. It has a dry weight of 4200# and is 26 feet long. So I have a few questions and I hope someone with experience can help me out.

1. How do I order the Tahoe LT to get the best tow capacity? I assume I just ask for the tow package. Any other options I should look at? I will be going to the 20 inch wheels.

2. With the tow package, what will my max. tow capacity become? I read several different numbers such as 6400#, 7200# and even an 8400# Not sure why all the different numbers.

3. Will I need a weight distributing hitch? For whatever reason I thought this was built into the Tahoe. Anti-sway hitch? Dealer of the travel trailer wants me to pay about $950 for the Blue Ox system. Thoughts? Is it necessary?

4. I like to travel once a year to the mountains which I put about 3500 plus miles on the vehicle. Up the mountain, down the mountain, up the mountain, down the mountain. Will I be prematurely burning out something? How is the handling up and down? Speeds to keep myself safe pulling this travel trailer?

I am sure I will be asking more questions but thanks in advance.

ricky22

Reaction score
Wow, nobody? I really thought this would generate a bit of traffic. I may have to break this down into smaller bites. The Traverse forum guys would be all over this.

Cycho

Reaction score
I would order the trailer package and make sure it comes with the trailer brake set up.
Yes you should a weight distribution hitch with anti sway. Never thought thatthe factory would supply this. I wil say that I don't really use the anti sway when pulling a trailer with my motorhome but would use one and anything smaller for sure.

As far as what to look for on a new Tahoe other than trailer package I'm not sure. Does the trailer package come with a lower gear set? IMHO the stock ratio is pretty high for towing. The place where I bought my trailer was of great help with all of this. Unfortunately I bought my truck before the trailer and have way high gearing so I suffer in the hills.