Maintenance schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aleinss

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Tahoe with 99000 miles. About the only thing I do on my truck is light body work, replacing the wipers, replacing the air filter, etc...the simple stuff. I just had Firestone replace the spark plugs, wires and gas filter. The service guy came out and said something along the lines of "looks like you are just picking and choosing what maintenance items you want to do, but you should really do these" and presented me with a piece of paper with the following:

Fuel System cleaning - $89.99

Transmission Fluid Exchange with Dexron VI - $179.99

Front Differential Service 75W90 - $86.98

Rear Differential Service 75W90 Synthetic - $107.98

I've had the oil changed every 3000 miles by shops and the gas filter replaced 2 or 3 times during the life of the vehicle (I bought it with 15 miles on the odometer), but have never had service done on the differential or transmission. I do not tow anything.

The first thing with the fuel system cleaning seems unnecessary, especially since I keep the tank almost always above 1/2 a tank. Do you agree? I'm thinking I can just buy a bottle of something at Walmart and throw it in for some cleaning.

The transmission fluid exchange...it appears they aren't changing the filter for with service, but are just draining and re-filling it. What do you think about this? Is this service pretty useless without also replacing the filter? I read pros and cons on exchanging transmission fluids...some say every 50,000 miles and others says if you've never touched it, don't later on.

It also appears they do not change the filter on the differential service, but are also "shortcuting" things by just draining and refilling so they don't have to take things apart.

So my question is...are these services reasonably priced for what I get and do I need them? Obviously, if you take apart a transmission/differential, you need to re-seal it properly and maybe that's why they use the shortcut method?

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO:
Fuel system cleaning. When you get to 1/2 tank of fuel, put 1 can of "seafoam" in the fuel tank and run it until almost empty. Then fill up as usual. Wala, fuel system clean. Just about any autoparts store, even walmart has "seafoam".
Transmission service. If they dont change the filter, dont let them touch the transmission. Plus since yours is a 04, it uses dex3 not dex6. Dex6 is synthetic. If you want a trans service, take it to a trans shop and have the pan removed, new 5 qts of fluid and filter replaced. DO NOT have the trans flushed. It stirs up gunk and you'll regret it.
Diff service. They dont have filters. Front has a drain plug and fill plug. Rear sometimes have a drain plug. If not either you can syphon the fluid out with a suction gun and refil or remove the rear diff pan and drain. Synthetic fluid will run you about $8-12 per qt and you'll need 2.5 qts for the rear and IIRC 1.5-2qts for the front.
Anyway, I believe your being taken if you pay the prices you posted. A regular mechanic shop should be able to service the vehicle for a lot less. Just my $.02.

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH, forgot to add, service the transfer case with GM Auto-trac II fluid. The only place you can get it is thru a GM dealer. $8 per qt and you'll need 2. Thats if you have the 246 transfer case. Its the one with the "auto4wd, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo" button on the dash. It takes the special blue fluid.

aleinss

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Donut Slayer. I rarely engage 4WD, maybe a few times during the winter. Is changing the fluid still recommended?

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Donut Slayer. I rarely engage 4WD, maybe a few times during the winter. Is changing the fluid still recommended?

I would. I mean, once at 100k miles, even if you dont use the 4x4, there are parts that are still moving and the oil still breaks down. Its cheap insurance. Even though you dont put the truck in 4x4 mode, the gears still turn, the bearings still need lube, the actuator just isnt engaging the 4wd. Gears in the transfercase are still turning, power just isnt being applied to the front drive shaft. I just bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe from a female that claimed she only put the truck in 4wd once since she owned it new. I've got 96k on the truck so I changed all the fluids, just for my piece of mind. :waytogo:

aleinss

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went and got Seafoam this afternoon and found a local small shop mechanic that will do all the fluids, parts and labor for $290. More bang for the buck (less bucks actually).

:happy160:

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CLK, thanks for the update on the auto trac fluid. I checked with summit a few weeks back, but they said it wasnt available anymore. Glad you had a link. I'll get mine from them from now on.