Mpg increase with tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout

Reaction score
Just thought I would let everybody who is thinking of getting a tuner that I was getting 12.5 mpg's and after getting the Diablo tuner i am now getting 15-15.5 city and mountain driving. I got 16.5 on my last trip to San Fransisco. I still have 3.73's in it with the 305/70's too. Not bad at all and the power increase is awesome. On my drive to work I climb an 8 mile stretch and about 3,500 ft altitude increase and before I would hold 45 and it wouldn't accelerate unless I went into passing gear and now it holds 55 and still accelerates in 3rd easy. It also has a little more growl to the exhaust. I am really happy I went with this tuner.

yukonmpg

Reaction score
I have an 05 Yukon XL. Can you detail the changes you made to the stock program to get those numbers? I am in need of the mpg boost as well.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i love my predator! I dont know what my mileage has gone up to cause i cant keep my foot off of it. but its gone up.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious as I'm trying to decide for myself...

Why did you choose the Diablo over a custom tune? It seems the custom tune is cheaper ($150 vs. $370)...

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with it because i wanted to be able to change stuff myself and i bought mine used on ebay and paid less than 100 for it so it was a pretty easy choice.

Blackout

Reaction score
I didn't want to have to send out my ecm and wait and I got $60 off at Summit so I bought it. I might sell it ina month or 2 as a friend just installed a dyno at his shop so I might have him do a custom tune on it.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kind of my thoughts... I don't know that I want to send my ECM out to have it tuned, not to mention, I'm a do-it-yourself'er... Perhaps I'll be ready to buy when you're ready to sell... keep me in mind if you decide to sell it... I may pick it up from you.

My 'Hoe is also stock... so, I'm not sure that it's ready for a custom tune... *shrug*

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You dont always have to send off your PCM. Most tuners will have a core charge in which they will send you a PCM with the tune on it, you can choose to pay for that PCM and keep both (one to switch back to stock) or you can send yours back and get your core charge refunded.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what's the benefits / drawbacks to each one? Is there a thread somewhere that may compare the two? I want to get the most for my money... and save money if I can. BUT, I also want to have the option to go back to stock... however the custom tune with a core is quite a bit more than a Predator... I'm just conflicted... don't know which route to take....

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It really is personal preference, with the ultimate being that you do the tuning yourself, and buy the software. Essentially a hand held just puts "cookie cutter" values on your vehicle. It will not be specific and will not get you the best performance, I have heard of vehicles having big issues after using handhelds. A "traditional mail order" tune is a cookie cutter tune, that most tuners have come up with as being the most optimal for your set up. It is more of a "best guess" based on past experience. BlackBear is the only one that does a cable tune, and that is as close as you can get to an in person tune wihtout having the tuner in your car. The cable will record your driving as well as your vehicles driving values, which allows Justin to make decisions based on what he sees on your logs and will be able to come up with a "customized" tune for your vehicle. The cable tune also allows the customer to do the crank relearn which can save you a trip to the dealer and $$$. I am not sure what numbers you are getting, as I know Justin charges $150 for a traditional and $200 for a cable tune. There is a fee if you want to keep your core PCM but all other fees are refundable (ie. cable deposit).

Here is the scenario for a cable tune:

With the scan cable tune, you pay a security deposit and we ship out a cable that you use to collect data from your vehicle as you drive. That data is then emailed in to us to be analyzed. In some cases, the data will show a mechanical condition that needs to be corrected before the tuning process can proceed. If this is the case, we'll do our best to help you determine the cause of the problem so that your tune will perform as well as it possibly can. Once all problems are squared away, we'll then build a tune for you based on that data and ship a tuned PCM out to you. You'll then use the scan cable to perform a crank relearn procedure and create a final log with the new PCM in place. The scan cable is then returned for a refund of your security deposit.

Please let me know if I didnt answer your questions.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really is personal preference, with the ultimate being that you do the tuning yourself, and buy the software. Essentially a hand held just puts "cookie cutter" values on your vehicle. It will not be specific and will not get you the best performance, I have heard of vehicles having big issues after using handhelds. A "traditional mail order" tune is a cookie cutter tune, that most tuners have come up with as being the most optimal for your set up. It is more of a "best guess" based on past experience. BlackBear is the only one that does a cable tune, and that is as close as you can get to an in person tune wihtout having the tuner in your car. The cable will record your driving as well as your vehicles driving values, which allows Justin to make decisions based on what he sees on your logs and will be able to come up with a "customized" tune for your vehicle. The cable tune also allows the customer to do the crank relearn which can save you a trip to the dealer and $$$. I am not sure what numbers you are getting, as I know Justin charges $150 for a traditional and $200 for a cable tune. There is a fee if you want to keep your core PCM but all other fees are refundable (ie. cable deposit).

Here is the scenario for a cable tune:

With the scan cable tune, you pay a security deposit and we ship out a cable that you use to collect data from your vehicle as you drive. That data is then emailed in to us to be analyzed. In some cases, the data will show a mechanical condition that needs to be corrected before the tuning process can proceed. If this is the case, we'll do our best to help you determine the cause of the problem so that your tune will perform as well as it possibly can. Once all problems are squared away, we'll then build a tune for you based on that data and ship a tuned PCM out to you. You'll then use the scan cable to perform a crank relearn procedure and create a final log with the new PCM in place. The scan cable is then returned for a refund of your security deposit.

Please let me know if I didnt answer your questions.

That's a PERFECT explaination! I was a bit confused as to how it works. I'm a bit worried about the initial investment (security deposit / core) as it will be hard to come by, however I do have credit cards, I guess. I'm also guessing I should get my CAI and exhaust before the tune so that it'll be tuned to those mods, eh? I think those and maybe a tuneup are the only things I'm going to do. I don't want to get too deep into my pockets. LOL... not to mention... the mod bug I tend to get...

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hear ya on the deposit. Most of his customers pay by PayPal, so they put everything on their credit card. I would say that 99.9% of the time, you will see the refund back the same day that the cable comes back to him. We are human too, and know that people do not like to be out their money.

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
My 'Hoe is also stock... so, I'm not sure that it's ready for a custom tune... *shrug*

A stock computer holds ALOT of power back. Dont think for a second just because youre stock you wont benefit from a tune. I own HPTuners and took it upon myself to teach myself how to work on tunes. I have a '98 Camaro SS that I tuned before I made upgrades to it. I gained 53whp just playing with the tune. I have already started working on the Tahoe tune. When I first downloaded the stock tune and was viewing it, I was laughing because of all the potential this engine has with out even getting dirty. The stock tune is a joke. It is very restrictive and runs VERY rich at WOT. Ill let you know how the truck responds when Im done with the tune.
Adam

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stock computer holds ALOT of power back. Dont think for a second just because youre stock you wont benefit from a tune. I own HPTuners and took it upon myself to teach myself how to work on tunes. I have a '98 Camaro SS that I tuned before I made upgrades to it. I gained 53whp just playing with the tune. I have already started working on the Tahoe tune. When I first downloaded the stock tune and was viewing it, I was laughing because of all the potential this engine has with out even getting dirty. The stock tune is a joke. It is very restrictive and runs VERY rich at WOT. Ill let you know how the truck responds when Im done with the tune.
Adam

I'd like to see dyno results when you get it figured out. I have a hard time with gaining 53WHP from a computer tune. Not saying it can be done, but I'd like to see some dyno results of a stock vs. tuned.... of course, my biggest motive for mods is MPG's... so, does that 53WHP also include increased mileage? What about longetivity. You say it's rich, but if you lean it out too much, you risk reliability and longetivity. Again, not saying it's not possible, but I have to think about these things as I'm not out to make my Tahoe an 11 second SUV. :p

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
I'd like to see dyno results when you get it figured out. I have a hard time with gaining 53WHP from a computer tune. Not saying it can be done, but I'd like to see some dyno results of a stock vs. tuned.... of course, my biggest motive for mods is MPG's... so, does that 53WHP also include increased mileage? What about longetivity. You say it's rich, but if you lean it out too much, you risk reliability and longetivity. Again, not saying it's not possible, but I have to think about these things as I'm not out to make my Tahoe an 11 second SUV. :p

UnfortunatelyI dont have the dyno slips for SS. I wasnt going to the dyno to impress anybody so I didnt video or ask for slips. I know what I saw and know talk is cheap and with out proof it cant be true and blah blah so if you dont belived me, Im notoffended. I was just making a point. The tune for the Tahoe has a WOT AFR set at 11.3. Thats richer than forced induction cars are supposed to run. You can easily take that to 12.8 and be way with in the realm of safe.
I dont go out and tune cars to destroy them. I am all for longevity. I dont want an 11 second Tahoe. I tuned my Fiances Saturn Ion Redline (the supercharged one) and got 38whp out of that, just tuning and she gets 31mpg up from 27. That I have dyno proof of if you need, a video and a screen shot. All I was saying is there is potential locked in the stock PCM.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UnfortunatelyI dont have the dyno slips for SS. I wasnt going to the dyno to impress anybody so I didnt video or ask for slips. I know what I saw and know talk is cheap and with out proof it cant be true and blah blah so if you dont belived me, Im notoffended. I was just making a point. The tune for the Tahoe has a WOT AFR set at 11.3. Thats richer than forced induction cars are supposed to run. You can easily take that to 12.8 and be way with in the realm of safe.
I dont go out and tune cars to destroy them. I am all for longevity. I dont want an 11 second Tahoe. I tuned my Fiances Saturn Ion Redline (the supercharged one) and got 38whp out of that, just tuning and she gets 31mpg up from 27. That I have dyno proof of if you need, a video and a screen shot. All I was saying is there is potential locked in the stock PCM.

Please don't mistake my remarks for flaming... I'm serious... I would like to see some dyno test results and whatever you have... you said you do custom tuning... right? I NEED to gain some extra MPG... and if I can grab some extra HP, then... even better! 50whp from something other than a power adder or a really strong head/cam package is rather hard to take in. Again, not saying it can be done... just saying I've not seen it happen. ;)

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
53WHP from a stock Camaro?! :eek2: How much air are you bringing into that thing?

On the other hand, a Tahoe stock tune leaves about 35hp on the table.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenna, I've e-mailed justin a time or two with questions, and I'm really leaning more and more with just plunkung down the cash (when I can afford it) and calling you guys up. We just moved though so the coffers are a bit drained at the moment, lol.

A couple of quick questions though:

1. How much difference does intake and exhaust work make in the final tune? How much extra power do you typically see from customers with all stock vehicles vs basic bolt ons?

2. You guys re-tune for free (less shipping) if I were to add bolt on's later, right?

3. Can you guys tune the 07+ engines with active fuel management?

I'm trying like hell to get my father in law to call you guys - he just bought an 08 Silverado LTZ 1500, and spent an ungodly amount on a custom exhaust, S&B intake and an Edge Products tuner.

He's completely convinced that he's getting a 40-50hp increase just from the Edge tuner :)skep:), because that's what the asshat that sold him all of this stuff told him. I've tried to tell him tactfully that he got ripped off, but I think he's in big time denial due to the amount of money he's spent on that crap. :rolleyes2: