Muffler recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thuhreb

Reaction score
When I first bought my Previous truck (jeep gc) I simply replaced the muffler with a magnaflow and didn't change anything else even the tip. I have been very satisfied with the results. It cost around the hundred dollars on eBay and I found one that fit exactly up to the previous welding spots. I paid about $25 to have the new one welded so for $125 total I was done and very happy with the results.

This weekend my wife and bought a 2007 Tahoe 5.3L. I would like to do the same thing however she is worried that it is going to sound too loud like my jeep. She will be driving the vehicle 50% of the time. What model do you guys recommend for replacing the muffler that would not be super loud but give it some balls? Not looking for big grapefruit balls. Maybe like tennis ball size... More air flow and better gas mileage. Would I need to replace the tip? If so what benefits would I have been doing that? What kind of price will not be looking at for the tip and I can I get one pre bent and pre sized? Trying to do this for the cheap... Because I am. Thanks in advance. I look forward to being part of this community.

By the way, I saw this model on a video on YouTube. It did not sound super loud but you can never tell when watching Internet videos. magnaflow 11229

NathanJax

Reaction score
general rule of thumb is the bigger the muffler, the quieter.

I have the magnaflow 12589 and it's perfect. barely hear it inside and has a quiet good tone driving, but it I step on it, you can hear it pretty good.

Only difference in the 11229 and the 12589 is the 12589 is 8" longer (11229 is 14" and 12589 is 22") so the 12589 is quieter.

Thuhreb

Reaction score
Nathan, did you do anything other than replace the muffler? Do anything to the tip? How much was labor for install?

07burb

Reaction score
Nathan, did you do anything other than replace the muffler? Do anything to the tip? How much was labor for install?

I have the same muffler. Install costs were roughly $50. I also cut off the resonator on back (mine's an '07 burb).